Ken Forkish recipes

I chose the wrong word, ugly. What I was going for was really more ‘inedible’. I’ll eat anything if it tastes good and don’t sweat the esthetics.

By way of example, I made some biscuits last week using White Lily flour and baking powder. I failed to sift and just stirred the powder into the flour. They baked up real purty but it turned out there were little pearls of baking powder embedded inside each golden brown biscuit. Uhhh…nope nope nopity nope nope! If you haven’t tried straight baking powder, don’t…it took hours before my taste buds recovered.

Life is a banquet. Life is short. As the Romans used to say: ‘vivere amorem, comedent, vita frui’ which I think translates into ‘PIZZA’.

1 Like

Pan Gallego:

1 Like

That looks amazing! I’m going to bump this up on my to-bake list. (Her accent is cool, too, I don’t think I’ve ever heard Spanish with a Ukrainian accent.)

I’ve had my eye on this recipe for a while and when I saw your comment I had to send it to you. It looks amazing! But I wonder where to get hold of Galician flour. How does it differ to what we call bread flour? Her channel is very good for many recipe.

Here is an excerpt from this article – the gist of which is the bread should be 75% strong flour and a minimum of 25% stone-milled wheat flour from Galicia: Callobre or Caaveiro varieties for example.

El pan gallego IGP deberá ser elaborado con una serie de harinas de trigo en las que por lo menos el 25 % por ciento deberá ser “harina del país”, cultivado en Galicia y de variedades autóctonas -hay un par registradas: Callobre y Caaveiro-, que Ibán Yarza define como “una harina de trigo a menudo molida a la piedra, de mayor sabor”.

I went to some websites that sell that kind of flour and spelt and rye are listed separately, so I can conclude it’s not spelt or rye but that’s about it :slight_smile: I’d go with any red wheat…

But if you want to wade thru this research, you might get a better sense of the varieties’ characteristics

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00886071/document&ved=2ahUKEwizhbHg4KrkAhUBZN8KHYVXBTAQFjAWegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw19CFeOdqFvHgApDvYSDKke

Thanks for the links. Not sure I understand most of it but from what I can gather it is common wheat so what makes it special? I think it’s the soil that it’s grown in with the major factor being low nitrogen. This will make it a soft wheat. I’m sure there are other differences like it comes from grains that have been locally grown and selected for many generations but if you want to make do with what’s available then how about 75% strong bread flour and 25% stone milled soft wheat? Stone milled is preferable for all flours and breads I believe so you can make that 75% bread flour also stone milled.

That’s interesting about nitrogen. Maybe I’ll use white sonora or spelt then. Both would probably be good for dough extensibility in making that knot.

I’m not up on the European flour numbering systems, and which are roller vs stone milled, but I’ll probably use organic bread flour.

2 Likes

I’ll wait till you’ve tried it before i attempt it :slight_smile:

Looking forward to your results.