Kamut & Teff Porridge

My sourdough journey emphasizes the use of whole grains. My latest experiment included teff porridge and I was reasonably satisfied with the result.

For the porridge, I cooked 75 grams of teff berries in 150 grams of water and then let it cool.

For the dough:
375 grams water
200 grams whole Kamut
150 grams white Kamut
150 grams all purpose flour
120 grams starter (100% hydration)
2 t. salt

I assembled the dough following the Tartine method, incorporating the porridge during the second stretch and fold. Bulk ferment overnight and 2 hour final proof, both at room temperature. Baked in a Dutch oven.

The result was very flavorful.

2 Likes

Interesting! Lovely reddish brown speckling too.

Did you taste the teff porridge? How was it?

I have put teff flour in bread - it was great. I need to do it again maybe with more.

I have eaten Teff porridge before and like it. But, I make it the same way that I do when I make other hot cereal - I add powdered milk, honey and some dried fruit and, sometimes, ground walnuts. The teff flavor in the bread was pleasant, but subtle. I also have some teff flour and frequently include a small amount of it in my breads. I do it more for the nutritional value than for the flavor but the flavor is good.

Sounds good. In my house, we often put a little maple syrup in our porridges/oatmeal. And I cook the oats in milk because it’s so much tastier imo.

That is similar to the approach that I use for porridge. I mix everything together, cold and then turn the stove on to low heat. The result is creamier than if the liquid is heated before stirring in the rest of the ingredients. I use water & powdered milk rather than milk to reduce the potential for curdling or scorching. Maple syrup would be a good substitute for the honey that I usually use.