Kamut® (Khorasan) Sourdough Bread

First Experiment with 20% freshly milled Kamut with quinoa.

1 Like

That’s gorgeous. I’m curious if you precooked the quinoa.

Thank you.
I had cooked quinoa in fridge and add them in the lamination step.
unplanned :slightly_smiling_face:!
I also swapped 100g of the bread flour to 100g all purpose.
i’m thinking next time to increase the % to 30-40 to enhance the flavor, I felt the stickiness in 20% :sweat_smile:

Most of my porridge breads are inspired by leftovers in the fridge :slight_smile: Enjoy!

1 Like

I’m new at bread baking. It has always intimidated me until I ran out of bread during this pandemic and I did not want to go to the store. To make story short, I discovered Breadtopia and a whole world opened. Breadtopia store has certainly benefitted to this discovery. I love learning about all the different types of flour and I don’t think I’ll be milling my own. I’ve been making sourdough bread for several weeks now, about twice a week. I send my children home with it and they love it.
I made the 40% Kamut yesterday, following your recipe without any problem. Still learning about timing (completed baking at midnight). It took 8 1/2 hours for the bulk fermentation in my pantry at 78 degrees and about 1 1/2 hours to proof.

. Taste great, just need to decrease baking time, my oven seems to be warmer than some.
Thank you.

@lynettelaas That’s a lovely looking loaf! I love adding Kamut to some of my breads. There’s something about it’s slightly golden color and slightly buttery flavor that adds just that “hint” to a loaf of bread. Breadtopia has been a life saver for me! I discovered it and sourdough in 2018. I’ve been baking our own bread since.

My oven runs a bit hot too. I’ve kept an oven thermometer in it for years now and have found it seems to run about 25 degrees hotter than the thermostat setting so I’ve been turning the dial down that many degrees whenever I use my oven for anything. Every oven has its quirks; its own personality. Understanding it is like discovering a new best friend and all kinds of adventures await.

Baking blessings,
Leah

Thank you Leah! I know I’ll be making this recipe again. This probably ends my bread buying from the grocery store unless I’m in Europe. There’s a Boulangerie near my cousin’s flat that makes the most wonderful 5 grain croissant. Anyway, I’ll be trying quite a few of Breadtopia’s recipes.

1 Like

@lynettelaas One of my absolute favorites is the pecan cranberry! Enjoy discovering all the bread possibilities!

Baking blessings,
Leah

I’ve used this recipe as a base but have altered it after many iterations and experiments. 250 white kamut, 250 whole grain kamut, 65 g starter, 320 water, 10 g salt. 4 hour bulk ferment, then shaped and placed into banneton and fermented at room temp for another 30 minutes. then overnight proof in the fridge for 9-10 hours or so.

1 Like

@CrustyPaul That’s beautiful! I do love Kamut. Paul, what is white Kamut? The only Kamut I have is in whole berry form that I would mill just before using and it’s basically a golden color. I’ve only used a small amount of Kamut as the whole grain component of the sourdough bread I typically make. Is your recipe indeed 100% Kamut? No bread flour? If it is, it looks AMAZING for a 100% Kamut bread. I’m impressed.

Baking blessings,
Leah

It is indeed 100% kamut! I can’t tolerate regular wheat, and the last few months have given me an opportunity to make many experiments! You can get the white kamut from breadTopia and I get the whole grain from a few places online like central milling or Montana. I’ve tinkered a lot with the recipe to try to get a little more height but can’t get much higher than this. I suppose I’m not the best judge for taste since I haven’t had bread in a few years, but everyone at the office looks forward to my morning bakes and I have plenty of requests for more!

2 Likes

@CrustyPaul Requests for more bread from your coworkers is the highest compliment! It must taste awesome if they want to eat more of it! :grinning:

Baking blessings,
Leah

I’ve read the Breadtopia’s description of “white kamut” and I still don’t get it. White whole wheat is milled from hard white berries. Is white kamut milled from a white kamut berry, i.e., different than other kamut berries?
I’ve baked one 2L batch of kamut (2 loaves): 800g Morbread flour, 200g kamut milled with my Mockmill, 80% hydration. While it baked up lovely and delicious, I didn’t taste as much of the kamut as I would like. So next time, I’m going to use same 200g of whole grain kamut but add 150-200 g of bolted kamut and less bread flour, bolted with a #50 strainer which typically yields a 60% extraction, i.e., pretty low extraction. I’m looking to increase the kamut flavor but retain the oven spring and crumb I had with the previous batch.

@rstoren Good morning. I was curious about the white Kamut after reading your post this morning so I pulled up the description so I could see it. I have linked it below.

https://breadtopia.com/store/organic-white-kamut-flour/

From what I can tell from the description, IMHO, the “white Kamut flour” is simply the whole Kamut berry milled by a different process that will enable the resulting white Kamut flour to be used as an alternative bread flour to traditionally white bread flours instead of “whole grain Kamut flour”. I would imagine that if you substituted the white Kamut flour in your recipe that you mentioned above for the portion of traditional bread flour you’re currently using you’ll basically have nearly a 100% Kamut bread, depending on the type of sourdough starter you’re using (or 100% Kamut if you’re using commercial yeast).

I’m NO expert, just a novice baker. But that’s the take I get on reading the description.

Baking blessings,
Leah

You got it! White Kamut is milled Kamut berries with much of the bran and germ sifted out.

@Fermentada Thanks, Melissa! WOW, I’m learning! YAY! :smiley:

I love Kamut and I’d like to try some of this white Kamut flour as bread flour too. My only question would be medically is it a relatively safe alternative for my husband’s needs. He needs to limit whole grain which is why I bake him his own “white” loaves. That would be the only reason I wouldn’t try it. I know I can safely use traditional white bread flour for his bread. My gut feeling is that I can use it as it’s being milled as a “white bread flour alternative”. Of course, I can always keep both in the house. :upside_down_face: I currently have 20# of Breadtopia’s organic high protein bread flour in my freezer because I recently ordered some SO…it may be a while before I place another order. :crazy_face:

I swear I over-think EVERYTHING! Maybe I’ll go grab another cuppa coffee :coffee:

Leah

I’ve also been contemplating adding white kamut to my next cart. It mostly would be for pasta making. I want to see how it rolls out and shapes up. Maybe compare a White Kamut dough with a 50:50 AP:Whole Kamut dough.

This was my most beautiful loaf since my pandemic sourdough baking began in March. The dough was a joy to work with, and the bread is perfect. I used 150 g of fresh-ground kamut (thanks to Breadtopia for my awesome MockMill😍) and I put the dough in my instant pot set for yoghurt for the bulk fermentation to speed things up. I prefer not much sourness, and this bread is just right. Thanks for the EASY recipe.

That’s wonderful to hear. I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe.

I’m curious whether you leave the instant pot uncovered or do something else to keep the temp down a little? Yogurt ferments at 108-112F, which seems hot for dough. But if it works, then that’s a really neat discovery!

You are correct! I put a cup of warm water in the pot, and place the little rack that came with my pot inside and set my 2 L plastic dough bucket on the rack, then cover. It’s done 2-3 hours later. I don’t make overnight breads anymore because they come out too sour for my taste. But I do bake in the evening and leave my uncut loaf overnight. BTW, your pizza dough recipe with turkey red is the only one I use.