Kamut® (Khorasan) Sourdough Bread

I mixed up the 40% Kamut dough this morning, using freshly-ground Kamut flour and the same starter I’ve used for a couple of years now, which was merrily floating. The dough stretched and folded like a dream. However, six hours later on a warm day, it shows no signs of rising. I’m mystified and bummed. I’ll give it a few more hours, but any idea of what the problem might be? Never had this happen before…

Did it ever end up rising?

Yes, I was going to come back and post…

After I posted, we went out for a few hours and when we got back it was looking good. At the 11 hour mark I shaped it, and baked it about an hour and a half later. It had good crumb and was delicious - here’s a pic of the last of it

1 Like

Oh that is lovely. I’m so glad it took off. The yeast and bacteria populations grow exponentially so I hear :slightly_smiling_face:

Just want to say that I made this bread on the weekend, using 20% White Kamut. It was delicious and I got a beautiful open crumb. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for this recipe. Here is my effort. 20% Bob’s Red Mill Kamut. 74% hydration, 10 hour bulk ferment @72°F, 10 hour retarded proof in fridge. Great oven spring. Batard is 5 inches high and boule is 4.5 inches high. Soft, open crumb.
It needs a little more salt for flavor in my opinion even though I usually use about this same low percentage of salt in my breads.

3 Likes

Those are beautiful loaves! I am a big fan of Kamut !!

Thanks. These were my first Kamut loaves. I may try a higher percentage of Kamut next time. The wheat has a nice color when baked.

2 Likes

One of my favorite recipes is the Sicilian no knead. Eric notes in the recipe that subbing Kamut works. I mostly use Kamut because I keep it in my stock, always. And although the recipe is written with instant yeast, I follow Eric’s guideline of 1/4 cup starter instead of instant yeast.

1 Like

What a sensational recipe. I tried the 20% version. New to Kamut so I underproofed it b/c I was getting nervous. Still it turned out great. I have a chilly house so will not be so nervous next time.

2 Likes

That looks awesome, @hester! Well done!

Leah

Thank you Leah 1.

I had only white Kamut so I tried with that. Can’t wait to try with whole grain though I expect the fermentation time to be a bit shorter b/c of it.

I did another 2 loaves, this time with Whole Grain Kamut. Left the %age at 20. Hydration 75%.
I’m so happy with this recipe. Works like a charm. Dough got away from me so had to bake sooner than I’d expected. Cannot wait to taste.

Gorgeous bloom!

Thank you. I am so happy with it. Thanks for the recipe. Just stupendous.

Tried my first Khorasan/Kamut recipe yesterday. Initially I planned to make the modified spelt loaf as described right under @eric’s recipe for sourdough whole spelt. However I didn’t have enough spelt flour left, so I went almost all in with the khorasan.

Flour: 530 g (about 1/4 whole spelt, 3/4 sprouted khorasan)
Water: 370 g (thereabouts)
Starter: quarter cup, about 60 grams
2 Tbsp agave syrup
salt: 10 g

Mixed the dough, let it sit for an hour, then stretched and folded 3 times on the half hour. Bulk fermented for about 14-15 hours (cool house; it’s still in the 50s here). Proofed 1 hour and 45 minutes in a banneton, then baked at 475 for 30 mins w/ clay baker top on, 10 minutes with top off.

The khorasan is notably more thirsty than the whole spelt. I started with 360 grams but added more water when I stretched and folded. It remained relatively dry and was easy to work with. I got pretty good ovenspring. The crumb is tight and the bread dense, but in a good way. It is delicious toasted.

1 Like

Very nice! Thanks for the post.

1 Like

Great recipe. I made the 20% Kamut sourdough for a dinner party, adding a hint of rosemary and lemon zest. Baking this was a harrowing experience. The seemingly well-floured banneton lining stuck to the top of the loaf after I flipped it onto the parchment-lined peel, and I pulled the top of the dough upwards while removing the cloth. After that trauma, compounded by scoring, the dough really spread. As a result of all this, no ears and the loaf did not have great oven spring, not what I’ve been getting with similarly hydrated loaves (about 72%). BUT…it was delicious and the interior crumb looks pretty good. My friends and their dinner guests loved the bread.

Details:
400 g bread flour
100 g whole grain Kamut (Bob’s Red Mill Kamut berries, ground in my Mockmill)
360 g water
70 g sourdough starter (WW starter) (a tad less than the recipe calls for)
9 g salt

Process: Around 7 am I autolyzed the dough and flour for 1 hour 30 mins. At the end of the autolyze I mixed in the starter and salt, rested the dough for half an hour, and then began a series of four stretch and folds carried out every 30 minutes. Bulk fermented on the counter in my fairly warm kitchen (it was a hot day). Shortly after finishing the last stretch and fold I actually stuck the dough in the fridge for 30 mins, hoping to slow things down a little bit. Total room temp bulk fermentation was about 9 hours from the time of final mixing (after the autolyze). I added the rosemary and lemon during the second S & F, though I could have mixed it in along with the salt and starter.

I had planned to proof overnight in the fridge but my timing was off and I was worried about overproofing. So instead I proofed on the counter for 1 1/2 hours and baked that evening in a Lodge 5.5 quart Dutch oven, alongside a Spelt-Kamut loaf in an oblong clay baker.

Sounds and looks delicious. Perhaps a warm temp + long proof led to the stickiness. The trauma of a stuck loaf is no fun! Lemon and rosemary with kamut sounds great.

Hi, I am kinda new to this and was wondering if you can use a mix of Rye & Kamut flour to make sourdough starter.

Thanks for any feedback :slight_smile: