Kamut® (Khorasan) Sourdough Bread

That loaf with the cheese (and jalapenos??) looks good, too!

Thanks - it was cheese and dried thyme. I couldn’t sacrifice any jalapenos to the bread. Here’s how I prepped the proofing basket. The bran flakes and thyme soak up cheese grease in a delicious way!

I grind my own grains and have Kamut, and have long wanted to make a loaf of Kamut bread using sourdough. But most of the recipes on Breadtopia go for HOT ovens, HEAVY containers like Dutch ovens … I keep hoping for recipes that use regular bread pans, don’t need a cover, and use a reasonable baking temperature. I am not into no-knead stuff. Is it possible to treat Kamut like regular whole wheat? And bake like we did in the 40’s, 50’ and 60’s? I’m too old to switch to methods that use baking equipment too heavy for me to lift (arthritis in wrists), and temps that scare me. I don’t think my oven will go to 500 degrees. Any help?
Thanks.
Marilyn Blessum

Marilyn,

How about this Breadtopia recipe, substituting the conventional wheat for Kamut, and the yeast for 75 or more grams sourdough starter – with a much longer rise, of course. (It bakes at 350 F)

Also, check out this recipe that a breadtopia member contributed to the forums. I think it would work well in a loaf pan, and with some (all?) Kamut flour.

I have a few relatives who can’t risk their teeth on crusty artisanal bread, so I bake loaf pan bread for them. (350 F oven. Loaf pan on a sheet pan 30 min, rotate, bake 15-30 more minutes. 190’F in center when done.)

If your only issue is baking vessel weight and temp though, I want to mention that I think the Breadtopia recipes do well in 450’F ovens. Many people have clay bakers that can’t go higher. Moreover, the breadtopia clay baker (which can go to 500, but doesn’t have to) is not heavy at all. Nothing like a cast iron dutch oven.

All that said, there is no reason not to put your sourdough in a loaf pan if that is your preference!

Dear Fermentada Melissa

Thanks for your speedy input. I’ve seen the regular Breadtopia whole wheat recipe. My point is that I want to avoid conventional wheat, and commercial yeast, and don’t care a fig for artisanal bread with tough crust and big holes for butter and jam to drip through. Just want sandwich bread made with a heritage wheat. Maybe I’m just too picky, but I’m 84, have some physical limitations and no money for pricey things like clay bakers, so my options are limited to what I have (metal bread loaf pans) and what I’m used to doing, except switching to the heritage wheat, if that’s possible. I’ve had some success with Turkey Red, but Khorasan seems quite different. Sorry if I sound like a curmudgeon! Trying to avoid turning out yet another 2-inch high anvil!

1 Like

Marilyn,

I wrote up the recipe I use for sourdough sandwich bread.

I used 2 cups of whole grain einkorn and 2 cups of all purpose flour. I don’t have kamut flour at the moment, but einkorn is a bit floppy and I believe presents challenges similar to kamut. You can work the recipe toward more and more whole grain flour if you want.

I hope the write up helps - I realize you may have wanted 100% whole grain, but I think this is a good start.

-Melissa

1 Like

Thank you, Melissa. How nice of you to follow up. I have used a recipe a lot like yours but it used much less heritage flour. I might have been afraid the sourdough starter I had would not do well at raising more whole grain than that. But now I have Eric’s starter, so I’ll give your recipe a go.I don’t have celiac issues, I just wanted to quit using conventional wheat whenever possible. Thanks again!
Marilyn

You’re welcome! Happy baking :slight_smile:

Hi Melissa
I am looking for a recipe using Kamut flour and wanted to know about the long bulk fermentation with this recipe. Is it that Kamut needs such a long bulk fermentation vs other flours? I don’t think I have ever gone longer than 6 hours and have never used Kamut before, so any advice is welcome. I would probably use the 40% or the 20% recipe just to see how it handles.
Thanks, Sharon

My house is pretty cold, making for longer fermentation time. Kamut is no slower to ferment than other wheats as far as I can tell. Just keep an eye on it as you normally would. Enjoy!

I mixed up the 40% Kamut dough this morning, using freshly-ground Kamut flour and the same starter I’ve used for a couple of years now, which was merrily floating. The dough stretched and folded like a dream. However, six hours later on a warm day, it shows no signs of rising. I’m mystified and bummed. I’ll give it a few more hours, but any idea of what the problem might be? Never had this happen before…

Did it ever end up rising?

Yes, I was going to come back and post…

After I posted, we went out for a few hours and when we got back it was looking good. At the 11 hour mark I shaped it, and baked it about an hour and a half later. It had good crumb and was delicious - here’s a pic of the last of it

1 Like

Oh that is lovely. I’m so glad it took off. The yeast and bacteria populations grow exponentially so I hear :slightly_smiling_face:

Just want to say that I made this bread on the weekend, using 20% White Kamut. It was delicious and I got a beautiful open crumb. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for this recipe. Here is my effort. 20% Bob’s Red Mill Kamut. 74% hydration, 10 hour bulk ferment @72°F, 10 hour retarded proof in fridge. Great oven spring. Batard is 5 inches high and boule is 4.5 inches high. Soft, open crumb.
It needs a little more salt for flavor in my opinion even though I usually use about this same low percentage of salt in my breads.

3 Likes

Those are beautiful loaves! I am a big fan of Kamut !!

Thanks. These were my first Kamut loaves. I may try a higher percentage of Kamut next time. The wheat has a nice color when baked.

2 Likes

One of my favorite recipes is the Sicilian no knead. Eric notes in the recipe that subbing Kamut works. I mostly use Kamut because I keep it in my stock, always. And although the recipe is written with instant yeast, I follow Eric’s guideline of 1/4 cup starter instead of instant yeast.

1 Like

What a sensational recipe. I tried the 20% version. New to Kamut so I underproofed it b/c I was getting nervous. Still it turned out great. I have a chilly house so will not be so nervous next time.

2 Likes