Is there a better way? Packaging

I find myself giving away a loaf or two of bread a week, and I’m always at a loss as to how to package it. Plastic would ruin a crispy crust, right?

So I end up tearing off a sheet of parchment paper and making a messy envelope of sorts for the bread, sometimes involving rubber bands too! Not pretty.

I looked on amazon for paper bread bags and the most attractive choice size and design-wise was 30 bags for 12.99, which was too expensive for me.

I’m now looking at getting a case of 500 bags for $52. This seems like a ridiculous number of bags (2.5 yrs to use up at my current rate). Here’s the site/product I found:

Before I make this huge purchase…does anyone have any other ideas for transporting the bread, or source of fewer cheap bags?

(My husband jokingly suggested I buy multiple cases, repackage them smaller, and sell them to my internet bread buddies. …Maybe the breadtopia store would consider doing this instead of me. :))

I just use white lunch bags that I buy at Smart & Final. If I want to pretty them up then I use a full sheet of parchment paper and secure the paper in place with red & white baker’s twine.

carla

Hi! I use the bottom of a grocery paper bag. I put the loaf in the bag and trim about 2 inches above the loaf. Then I tie around the bottom with twine. I figure once they get it home it’s up to them. Not perfect but an idea. I’d split the case with you if we were neighbors :slight_smile:

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, splitting with a neighbor would be ideal :slight_smile:

I don’t give away nearly that many loaves but still, to plan ahead I always put grocery produce in paper produce bags and then, when I get home I transfer the produce to something else and carefully fold and store the paper bags. I always seem to have enough. I also have delivered loaves of crusty bread naked in my hands. It always gets a big “WOW!” when I do that probably because it’s so pretty just like that.

Not sure what size you need but Amazon has white Halulu bakery bags with tin tie tab locks 50 for $11.99. This brand has several other options as well. Hope this helps!

Paula

Thanks! Those bags are probably big enough, but to be safe I went with MrTakeout… large, 15x8.5x4.5. My boules, when all goes well (haha), are approx 8×8x4. This gives me room to fold the top (a lot).

1 Like

Great! Glad you found something that worked for you! (However, you gotta admit…“MrTakeout” is not NEARLY as fun to say as “Halulu!!” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Happy Baking & Merry Christmas!

Microperforated bags are the way to go to keep your bread crusts crisp. King Arthur sells 50, 11" x 20" microperforated bread bags for $16.95.

2 Likes

Here it is :slight_smile: The box is not as big as I feared.

500 large bags $65 including shipping. Not perforated - oh well. I can leave them hanging open.

2 Likes

I keep a roll of paper in my kitchen for baking give-aways, then wrap things up. I like it bc of it’s old fashioned presentation.

Here’s the paper I use.
http://a.co/da9q2d7

3 Likes