Instant Pot bread proofing?

(Leah) #21

@doughinyuma, I did try it once. It didn’t work and was a dismal failure. I will NOT try again.

Leah

0 Likes

(Leah) #22

@skipper1994, I did look into a Brod and Taylor proofing box. Since I live in the desert southwestern USA the ambient temperature in my house for the majority of the year is high enough, over 75 degrees, to warrant a proofing box unnecessary. It’s only a few months during the winter season when my house temperature at night is below 68 degrees. Many thanks for the suggestion though.

Leah

0 Likes

(skipper1994) #23

Hi, Leah1. I thought about that after I sent my comment! I’d have to agree that the proofing box isn’t worth the expense for such a short usage period.

0 Likes

(meganb) #24

I just tried to proof a loaf of plain white bread in the instant pot today and it worked just fine. I don’t know if it would be different from a cinnamon bread, but I put the dough in a bowl with parchment paper, placed it on a short trivet with 1.5 cups of water in the pot, and then put it on the low yogurt setting with the lid sealed for 1.5hrs. It rose very well.

If you’ve given up on the instant pot though and your house is too cool, can I recommend proofing it in the oven? you just turn the oven on to maybe 400, do a slow 10-15 count, then turn it right off. Then you slide your dough in your bowl/pan/whatever and just check it now and then. If the oven starts to get too cool, turn the oven on for another 10 seconds.

0 Likes

(Leah) #25

Megan, I’m so glad it worked for you! Weather conditions in the desert southwest are warming up quite nicely so the ambient indoor temperature of my home is now quite conducive to bread baking. Admittedly, I have not tried making my cinnamon raisin sourdough. It’s a favorite recipe but I do consider it to be my most finicky one. I do hope to make one soon. It’s my mom’s favorite and I’d like to bake her one.

To bread!
Leah

0 Likes