In search of sourdough "Butterzopf" (braided loaf)

The website is www.besondersgut.ch. Also with google translator in your browser you are able to get a pretty good translation of the recipe. although not perfect.

1 Like

Hi, Keegan.

Sorry I’m slow getting to this. I’m still not quite back on schedule with emails, given the madness of the moment.

Anyway, I did make another batch of this Zopf – and it fully won over a 3 year old and an 8 year old, which must count for something! My wife and I liked it too. The crumb was nice and soft; it’s more hearty than a fully white Zopf, but it’s richer too. So that’s a tradeoff I was willing to make. The flavor is definitely more complex. Presumably, you could just reduce the whole grain component if you want a lighter crumb.

Here are the measurements I used for making a sourdough version:

Preferment:

• 25g. sourdough starter (“fed”)
  • 105g. whole milk
  • 65g. whole wheat flour
  • 65g. white flour

Main dough:

• 210g. milk
  • 350g. flour (300g. white flour; 50g. whole grain spelt)
  • 90g. butter (room temp or melted)
  • 90–100g. honey
  • 10g. salt
  • 5g. diastatic barley malt

For the preferment, I proofed it overnight at about 72F/22C; it’s more or less feeding your starter with flour and milk (no water). It’ll be a waxier consistency, but it works well.

I have no stand mixer, so I mix by hand with a dough whisk. Melting the butter makes this part much easier and guarantees equal distribution of the butter.

After a bulk proof that gives the dough time to double in volume, I used a shaping technique on YouTube for a 4-strand Zopf.

I preheated to 220C and then baked the Zopf at 180C.

I’d still say this is a formula in development, but it was definitely tasty, so I’ll share it.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks Phillip, much appreciated! I’ll give that a go!