How to Make Baguettes

Did more experimenting: bought the fancy French T55 flour and baked two of my baguettes in my oblong clay bakers. Fantastic results! Did the same technique with a 10% protein AP flour and got good results, but not as good as the French flour. I’m wondering - have you (or anyone on here) tried using Soft White Wheat Berries, home milled and sifted, to produce a lower gluten flour for making baguettes?

1 Like

Can I first say that that is a huge improvement in shaping and scoring, good for you. I unfortunately do not have a home mill so have no experience using soft white wheat berries. It is hard to beat real French T55 or T65 flour for baguettes.

Lovely video but I so wish that you had written out directions as well. It’s a bit tedious to have to pull up a video and find the right place each time one is completing a step. Thanks.

I have a perforated baguette baking pan. And a steam bake function on my oven. Should I place my baking pan right on my baking stone or take out the baking stone?

I think you would use one or the other, not both the perforated pan and the stone.

TY!
Some old foggies get more out of reading!

Thanks for this recipe — turned out perfect! added a little sourdough starter, just two spoons and seemed to do well. Used them to make Banh Mi (grilled porkbelly, pickled dokai and carrots and some wonderful Banh Mi sauce).