How to Make Baguettes

(Penny) #22

It would be impossible to really understand how to shape the baguettes if you don’t want to watch the video. I have read instructions and scratched my head before. The video made it possible for me to understand the process. I guess I am a visual learner.

(babaker) #23

Wanted to try this recipe as it starts with a poolish and I’ve always been curious to see how those tasted. I followed everything in the video to a T and must say the bread was way underproofed which gave it little flavor, dense crumb, and the awful split on the side near the bottom of every loaf. I’d definitely not handle the dough as much as is suggested. Maybe do a few minute knead or put in mixer for a few minutes on low speed and let it rise for 2 hours before trying to shape it.

(dowbright) #24

I know what you mean! I don’t learn from videos very well. I do better with specific written instructions. Comparing what I’ve seen to pics about what it should be—those help me learn.

It’s interesting to try to figure out how various people learn. I know, because I did it for more than twenty years at school. :slight_smile:

(Baker-Bee) #25

This is really a great recipe, Eric. Thank you. Using poolish seems to improve the flavor quite a bit. Since we are currently going through a heat wave, we baked the bread outside on our Webber gas grill on a pizza stone. We covered the bread for the first 6 minutes with an aluminum baking pan. It worked great.

(kenmore34) #26

Am I the first to see the conversions for the poolish are off? 125g of water is a 1/2 cup. But 125g of flour is a full cup? Is this correct?

(Melissa) #27

It’s correct. Water is almost twice as heavy as flour, for the same volume. This stuff can be confusing at first but you get the hang of it over time.