How to Copy and Paste a Recipe

If you have formatted a recipe in word processing software or even specific recipe software, it may not paste correctly when you try to share it here in the forum. The forum uses Markdown (technical info for that here). Most word processing software programs use proprietary formatting and when those formatted documents or even sections of those documents are pasted into Markdown, the formatting scrambles and makes the entire thing look like gobbledygook.

My initial response to this issue is to use Screen Capture. There are other options discussed below.

Screen Capture option: Use the screen capture tool and paste that capture, which is actually an image. In most cases you will not be able to edit the text in a screen capture paste, but all should look and align like your source text.

On a Windows 10 computer, screen capture is Windows Key-Shift-S. You should see a little graphic menu at the top of your screen:

The blue square is the selection which defaults to a rectangle selection tool. Use your mouse or whatever pointing device you use, click on the upper left corner of the area you want to capture. With the mouse button down, drag to the lower right corner of your selection. When you release the mouse button, the selected rectangle will be saved to the clipboard. Go to your Breadtopia post and paste. In the edit window you will see the Markdown image code which is something like ![image…png). In the right preview window you will see the actual image. YEA!

Just FYI … the amoeba button allows free form selection, the 2 squares button allows selection of the active window and the last button captures the entire screen of the current desktop.

On Apple Mac computers: How to capture a screen on MAC

On Mobile devices:

iPhone and iPad: Screen Capture on iPhone and iPad

Press the Side button and Volume up at the same time, then release. The resulting screen shot can be cropped and edited.

On Android: Screen Capture on Android

Press the Side button and Volume down at the same time, then release. Some versions per the above link have a screen shot function available from Swipe down from the top.

If you have older versions of Windows, MAC, Android, iPhone or iPad … you may have to use your favorite search engine to get specific screen capture instruction for your version.

Once in your Breadtopia post, Ctrl-V or Command-V will paste whatever has been saved to the clipboard into the post.

Adding a photo of a recipe:

Ok … so, maybe you have beautiful penmanship, or an inherited handwritten recipe that you’d like to share without retyping. Take a photo and add it as an image just like you add an image of your beautiful bake result. The best way to get a good photo of a handwritten document is to place the document flat in very good natural light or filtered incandescent light. Position the text so that it fills your camera screen. You want no glare on the paper to get the best and most readable image.

I use one of these diffuser “socks” over a clamp light when natural light needs a boost.

You can also use a white pillowcase, tee shirt, flour sack towel, etc. over a light to set up diffused light for a good photo. This is not just for written items. Natural or diffused light is good for bread and food photos.

About photo sizes:

Breadtopia (and most sites) have a size limit for photos.

The limit for images in this forum is 1024kb. If you try uploading a photo larger than the limit, you will get a message:

Sorry, that file is too big (maximum size is 1024kb). Why not upload your large file to a cloud sharing service, then paste the link?

You can link to a cloud service or you can resize the photo with photo editing software. Your computer or mobile device likely has something built in that’s easy to use or you can download a free app.

For photos and screen shots that are too large, aim for less than 900 pixels on either dimension (height or width), or 72dpi or less. On a simple image resizer (pictured below), select Medium/2MP.

Additional options for adding a recipe:

Save a document as html format and paste that in.

A great example of a recipe with a lot of formatting that was added via saving as HTML: DennisM’s Sourdough Milk Rye recipe (@DennisM)

If you’re interested in doing a little Markdown coding for your recipes, here are a few formatting shortcuts from @homebreadbaker. (Paul Notes: Don’t mix this coding with html.)

You can make headings. Type this…:

## Hello

…to get this:

Hello

You can make bullet lists. type this…:

* Ingredient one
* Ingredient two
* Ingredient three

…to get this:

• Ingredient one
  • Ingredient two
  • Ingredient three

Numbered lists… type this:

1. one
2. two
3. three

…to get this:

1. one
  2. two
  3. three

Appreciate your time on this and sure others do as well. I did a screenshot and posted but found the result was too small to read easily, probably something to do with what I am working with so I just deleted it and started over. I downloaded a program to write in markdown which I did accomplish and it did post properly and then I had an epiphany. Or maybe I should say…

I READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE FORUM.

When you go to post one of the options is HTML and if the document you want to post is saved to html it posts just fine.

Sometimes I can kick myself in the butt ESPECIALLY when the option is clearly identified, all I need to do is READ… I don’t know about Microsoft and whether doc files can be saved as html. I didn’t have this issue with the Macbook but did with the Linux versions.

Anyways as I said the solution FOR ME is just to save the file in html and then post that. It comes out perfect. Thanks for your work on this.

1 Like

Is that snow I see outside your window??? BRRRRRRRR

That is a great point re HTML. Word docs CAN be saved as HTML and that is a good option as well.

Don’t kick yourself too hard … I do the same. Because I am an I.T. professional and think I know what I’m doing so either skip or skim instruction until I am in big trouble :slight_smile:

At any rate, I’ll test and add a paragraph on HTML to the top post.

Yes, that is snow! I am in Northwest Montana …. Kalispell area and we have had THREE winter storms since late September. Not unheard of, but still a little unusual and especially as they came with very cold temperatures: single digits F overnight and below freezing daytime. More like late November - early March. I love Winter and very much dislike heat (above 70F) so Montana suits me but early snow and cold when trees are not ready can be disastrous.

However, it does NOT impede my bread making! I think my starter, flours, etc. are hearty and used to the cold. All goes on, albeit at a slower pace :slight_smile:

Hello from the midwest…

I haven’t ever tried to copy / paste a recipe but I have found it pretty easy to use basic markdown formatting on forum posts.

You can make headings. Type this…:

## Hello

…to get this:

Hello

You can make bullet lists. type this…:

* Ingredient one
* Ingredient two
* Ingredient three

…to get this:

• Ingredient one
  • Ingredient two
  • Ingredient three

Numbered lists… type this:

1. one
2. two
3. three

…to get this:

1. one
  2. two
  3. three

One thing I did find once though (and it was a pain so I hope this saves someone else from banging their head like I did) is that it doesn’t like it when you mix markdown AND html in the same post. Sometimes it works and sometimes it seems to get confused that way and you get unexpected results. I like using markdown though because it is easy to read.

2 Likes