Hooked on my sourdough starter!

I’m new to sourdough starter. I started reading about making bread, and that led to sourdough. I made my first foray into growing my own starter about a month ago, kept it up nicely, and it smelled great!

Then my husband put a fan on our counter and because I didn’t know that drafts were a problem, I found my starter unresponsive and lifeless! TRAGEDY. (a la the Beegees) (Yes, I’m old!)

With care, I’ve brought it back to life now, so I’m filled with excitement about nurturing this little individual. Should I name it? I’ve read that many do! I am reading anything and everything about this miraculous phenomenon. I always loved sourdough, but didn’t know that there is a whole school of thought on the topic until now.

Are the rest of you as enthralled as I am with this concept of gathering wild yeast out of nowhere for great taste?

I’d love any hints, tips, or tricks that you know of on sourdough…starter thoughts, recipes, baking advice, and HINTS. I’m collecting a notebook full of ideas, and feel so on top of the world with my new hobby. I haven’t been this excited in decades!

SO happy about this! I hope you can tell me more! This is a fantastic site. I need to figure out how to get the most out of it.

Hi! I’m relatively new to sourdough too, having recently acquired a portion of some in February 2018 that a friend of mine has been cultivating and using for years. To answer your question, “Should I name it?” My answer would be a hearty “YES!” I do tend to name all kinds of things simply because I like to, BUT, sourdough is a living thing and as such IMHO I believe it’s worthy of having a name. I have named mine! When my friend gifted me a portion of her starter, he already had a bit of history behind him. He had been started in Douglas, Arizona, lovingly cultivated and used by my friend. She named him Feed Me Seymore. After some time my friend decided she would like to add some of the original San Francisco sourdough culture to Seymore so she had some sent to her from there and she added it to Seymore. Now the SF culture had a name that was surprisingly similar to Seymore so my friend morphed the two names together and called her culture Cyril. Then along I came one evening in February for a lovely dinner with my friend and she put a portion of Cyril into a mason jar for me to take home. When I asked her if he had a name, she went on to tell me his whole history and how she named him. I knew right then and there that I would like to honor her gift of Cyril to me by making sure I incorporated the name Cyril in the name I would call him. I named my starter D. J. Cyril. The D. J. stands for “Douglas, Jr.” because he was originally cultivated in Douglas, Arizona. I admittedly just call him Cyril, for short. My friend was particularly touched that I would keep the name of Cyril as part of my starter’s name and I wanted to honor where she developed him. It took time before D. J. Cyril was acclimated to my house and the flour I decided to feed him (Arrowhead Organic All Purpose flour) before I started baking with him. Honestly, I only started baking my NK sourdough loaves from recipes here on Breadtopia.com the very beginning of April. Like you, I am totally enthralled with sourdough and I must say, Cyril is a happy little starter who delights me with beautiful loaves of bread. I couldn’t be more thrilled and my husband LOVES the breads I make. All the recipes I use are from this website and I’ve made the basic sourdough, cinnamon raisin, rye, chocolate cherry rye and the sourdough with steel cut oats. All I can say is, “WOW!” I still can’t believe I’m baking my own loaves of organic artisan sourdough bread. REAL BREAD! I’m baking real bread and loving it. Prepping dough at night and waking in the morning to find Cyril has lovingly done his job. And that moment when I take the lid off the clay baker and see a beautiful loaf of bread. Yeah, I’m smitten too. To get the most out of this site, watch lots of the videos of Eric baking bread. Read the articles in the blog. Spend time just going through the forum reading threads of topics that peak your interest. Lots of your questions will find answers here on the forum. I think there’s a whole thread on sourdough and Eric has videos on managing sourdough that will be helpful too. Yes, this is a fantastic site and is my “go-to” for all things bread. Happy baking to you, Leah

Leah1, I loved your reply. It was so filled with the launch of your breadmaking/sourdough history! Give Cyril my love. :smiley:

What kind of clay baker did you get? Is it a dutch oven?

I’m watching a bit of Eric’s videos every day. Thanks for the tip!

Do you use only Arrowhead flour, or do you have other types as well?

It’s all so new and exciting. :rofl:

I’m so curious. Things I read told me not to expect my very first breads to be fantastic, though all said it was possible…just that beginning breadbakers need to learn the needs of their particular environment, and other things.

My first efforts have NOT been awesome. :wink: I’ve had a variety of failures…but each time I’ve learned something new. So I have high hopes. LOVE this!

Good morning, @dowbright!
Cyril is happily baking some sourdough bread as I type this! I will certainly give him your love. I know he responds to all the love because he bakes some beautiful bread for me.

Let me see if I can address your questions. Before I even started my bread baking adventures I knew that I knew NOTHING about having sourdough, managing sourdough, baking with it, what equipment to successfully bake with, etc. I honestly knew NOTHING! What I did know was that I had the deep desire to eat REAL bread, REAL food, made simply without all the chemicals, additives, etc. I also knew that I wanted to grind my own grain, in fact, THAT’S how my bread journey started. I wanted to make real bread by grinding my own grain so I started researching the best electric mill to suit what I was looking for. I quickly found the Breadtopia website and was really intrigued by all Eric’s videos on everything I was interested in about bread. I started watching them over and over again. The first purchase I made was the Mockmill100 electric stone mill. I have to tell you that was one of the BEST purchases I have ever made. I love it, the ease of using it and the incredible quality of the fresh ground flour it produces. From watching Eric’s videos I determined that in order for me to successfully bake bread I did need the right bread baking “tools” as I didn’t really have any. On the bread bakers shopping portion of the site I chose to purchase the Artisan Bread Starter Kit Country Loaf. I personally like more of a loaf shape to bread and that kit contained the basic tools I determined I needed. I was glad to get a cotton liner for my bread proofing basket because a couple of the breads I bake require it because they’re wetter dough, the cinnamon raisin and the rye. So to answer your question about the clay baker, I have the Breadtopia country loaf covered clay baker. It’s GREAT! I love the loaves I get from it. I don’t own a dutch oven so a clay baker just used for bread is a great option for me. You asked about the flour I use. The Arrowhead organic all purpose flour is only used for feeding Cyril, flouring my hands and surfaces and for other baking as the need arises. The reason I use that for feeding Cyril is because that was the flour I had on hand when I acquired Cyril. Since it was organic, non-enriched, non-GMO, non-bromated, it suited my purpose. Cyril has adjusted to it VERY well and is a happy little starter so that 's what I keep feeding him. All the flour and whole grain I use for making bread I get from Breadtopia because I have been exceptionally pleased with the quality. I like to grind my own whole grains for bread and the ones I currently have are the rye berries, the hard spring white, the heirloom Turkey Red and the heirloom Red Fife. I love using the hard spring white as the whole wheat portion of my basic sourdough bread. Both the Turkey Red and the Red Fife are wonderful and as far as I’m concerned, fairly interchangeable in use. I like them both. I also purchase bread flour as I do combine it with whatever whole grain I’m using. I’ve used both the High Protein Bread Flour which is excellent and pure white. But the bread flour I’m using currently is their Select Organic Bread Flour. I like the added nutritional factor in it and since I add whole grain to all my breads I really don’t need absolutely pure white flour. The Select Organic Bread Flour suits my needs very well. Both of these flours have a high enough gluten content that I get excellent results. To me, the key to successful bread baking is having the right tools. If you do want to grind your own flour, consider a good stone mill. I do love my Mockmill100. Paying a lot more money simply for fancy wood housing and “looks” are much less important than the quality of the stones, motor and fine quality of the resulting flour. If you’re not into grinding your own flour (which a lot of people simply don’t do or want to do) then make sure the quality of the flour you purchase is top. The next important tool, in my opinion, is a clay baker. My preference is the loaf shape but that’s just personal preference. Whatever shape clay baker you choose, make sure you purchase the appropriately shaped proofing basket and a cotton liner, which you’ll need for certain breads. If you buy the Artisan Bread kit, all this is included with the Breadtopia Baker:
Danish Dough Whisk – Our most popular product. Perfect for mixing no knead dough.
Dr. Oetker Dough Scaper – There’s no better tool for getting dough out of the mixing bowl.
Bench Knife – Gotta have one. Used mostly for dividing dough and getting sticky dough off the counter.
Yeast – Bioreal organic instant is the best. (I also have the SAF instant yeast but honestly, I have only been baking with my own sourdough because like you, I’m hooked on sourdough!)
Brotform Proofing Basket with Liner – Traditional for rising dough.
Bread Lame – Score your dough like a pro.

These were the tools I felt would work best for me and were what would make my attempts easier and more successful. With all these tools, you WILL have great success. I know I have. I have only had ONE bread fail on me, the whole grain challah. I definitely think I did something wrong that bake. The story is posted on the forum. It’s rather comical. You’d have to look for it. I don’t remember which category it’s in, LOL.

The timer has gone off and my bread is ready to come out of the oven!
Happy baking!
Leah

1 Like

This sounds lie the next step I need to take on my journey. It will take me a while, though, to be able to afford it. But it sounds like a just-right mill.

Oh, no! Now I can’t get back to my original post! How do I mange that?

This is very exciting to read about. I wanted to make more comments, but there weren’t any real openings where I could say anything.

It was kind of shocking. I wonder why I wasn’t able to ask questions and try to learn.

?

It’s hard to get back to this forum. I wish I could!

Are you on a lap/desktop or mobile? I can screen shot what you need to click on - just let me know your platform

I am partially blind. So I can’t use a phone to keep up.

I am on a Mac iMac of a full page. I can see a long explanation of info that is filled with info.

I wish I’d sued when I was blinded! But I just didn’t. Regrets! I have a lot of regrets, because I didn’t realize how debilitating it would be. Live and learn, I guess.

I hope this helps,

Paula

There’s more than one way to access areas of the forum, but next to your profile picture is a start. The three horizontal lines mean “Menu” and you can see forum posts in several “sorts.”

And here are two ways to access your personal activity on the forums.

I’m so sorry to hear of your sight impairment. I hope this info helps. A lot of times I have to click around to figure things out, and reading guides provided by the site can be very helpful.

I have enjoyed every bit of your story. Thank you for telling me so much about your journey.

:smiley:

@dowbright, I’m very sorry you are dealing with sight issues. My life-long best friend is too so you definitely have my heart. If I can address any of your questions as they come up, share baking stories with my bread journey or just encourage you along the way I’ll be happy to. I’m really new at baking sourdough bread. I only started the beginning of April 2018, but I love it! Cyril sends you a bubbly “hello.”

@Fermentada, thank you so much for helping navigate the forum for our new member. You’re a jewel!

Leah

As romantic as it seems, I can’t say how much sourdough yeast and bacteria we capture “from the air” when generating a starter from scratch. I’m betting most of the yeast and bacteria was already growing on the wheat in the field in South Dakota.

My advice is, just as an experiment, go to Ed Wood’s website (www.sourdo.com) and order the original San Francisco sourdough culture. It’s about $15. Activate it and bake with it for a month. Keep feeding your original culture as well. My bet is that you will experience a vast difference. This has been a champion culture for well over a century in thousands of bakeries.