Honey Whey Sourdough Bread with Sprouted Spelt

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Love the braiding video, especially with the klezmer accompaniment.

1 Like

Yaaaaas I loved the video too. I weeded out at least ten videos that spent the first two minutes cutting the dough into pieces and lacked this energetic music to get you excited for the challenge :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. My name is Aanchal.

I too liked this video.

1 Like

I baked this bread on the weekend after a yoghurt making disaster. I ended up with soft cheese and a lot of whey. Not one to throw things out, I decided to try this recipe. I am so glad I did. It has amazing flavour. The crumb is soft and the crust is still good after a few days. I didn’t braid it, just baked a boule. But the rise was perfect. I will surely bake this again. Thanks for the recipe, Melissa. :yum:

You’re welcome and I’m glad you had a good experience with the recipe. I hope your soft cheese is tasty : ) I’m relatively new to yogurt making. Do you know what happened to make it cross over from yogurt to cheese?

The cheese makes a wonderful spread in place of butter or margarine. I think it was partly my fault. I checked it after a few hours and found that the mixture was cold and didn’t thicken. I then heated it up again and noticed that it started to curdle. I covered it in a blanket and after a while it was curdled totally and separated. So I drained the whey and made this wonderful cheese. That’s when I remembered this recipe and decided to give it a try. So glad I did. :cheese:

Interesting is it like ricotta? I kinda feel like a cheater with my yogurt making because I use an Instant Pot…well “Ultra Pot” different brand that had a second glass lid and same functionality. Anyhow the only aspect of the process I have to deal with is stirring in a 1/4c of yogurt when the milk has cooled to 110-115F.

Yes, like ricotta. I just didn’t season it, so it’s a sweet cheese. I used to make yogurt with raw milk, then it is a really long process. Now I just heat the milk, add milk powder for a thicker yogurt, cool down and stir in also 1/4 cup yogurt. Works well for me.

Interesting - I may buy milk powder and try that. I don’t love how much strained whey I get

Oh my goodness! This is delicious! I couldn’t wait for it to cool down all the way before tearing into it. I used half whey and half milk (I did a double batch) and the flavor is wonderful! I ended up getting lazy since I started the process too late in the day. I’m so glad you advised about the loaf pan method. I popped it into my long Pullman pan and popped it in the fridge overnight. I had to bake it for an additional 15 minutes to cook the inside fully. But the crust handled it just fine without having to cover. I will definitely make this again… and probably as a loaf again :slight_smile:

That looks lovely. What a nice big loaf!