Home Milling with my Mockmill

Glad you enjoyed the blog post. Yep, trying new wheat varieties is fun

I am wondering how much difference there is between the Mockmill Pro 100 and the Komo mills. They both seem to have the same type of mechanism for raising or lowering the milling stones. I’m hoping the Pro 100 mills finer flour.

Hi! Thanks for the great write up. I’m super curious with how you do corn tortillas using the Mockmill.

This photo is from ten minutes ago – I’m working on a tortilla recipe. :slight_smile:

These are home-milled half corn and half white sonora wheat, nothing sifted out or remilled, but yes softened by sourdough starter + time.

ETA of the recipe is soon. I suspect an all-corn conversion of the recipe will behave similarly but will need to test.

Yes! I’m so excited, especially since I just purchased a Mockmill 200. I’m really curious if you can make traditional Masa using it.

So I just made a small batch without sifting and it was on the crumbly side. I didn’t give it 6-24 hours like I do the 50% corn with sourdough starter. Softening over time and/or sifting might help, but the more I read, the more I’m learning that nixtamalization (commercial corn tortillas and masa harina flour) changes the proteins in the corn making them bind better.

Since you mention nixtamalization you might have come across the process. But here is a method that I’ve tried … I used pickling salt with lime because I had it. I linked to 2 articles on the site: making the masa from corn and using the masa to make corn tortillas.

Making Masa

Making corn tortillas from homemade masa dough

Oooh neat! I was envisioning drying my home-nixtamalized corn all over my dining room table, but that process looks easier.

I also think I have a bag of hominy buried in my pantry and am planning to mill it and mix up some tortilla dough from that.

1 Like

I just purchased the Mockmill, and am ready to get started. One question…if a recipe asks for 500g white whole wheat flour, can I just weigh out 500g of white wheat berries, grind them, and add them to the recipe? Or do I have to weigh again? I’m hoping to just mill the amount I need for the recipe!

2 Likes

Yes, there is basically no loss of weight during milling, so you can just weigh the berries.

1 Like

Thank you! I just ground some white wheat berries. The mill worked great!

1 Like

@kateo @Fermentada That’s exactly what I do too! I weigh out the amount of berries I need and just grind them. I love the fact that I can grind only what I need for a particular recipe. No waste!

Baking blessings,
Leah

1 Like

The link to your new Mockmill goes to the Mockmill Lino 100. How does that compare to the Professional 100?

@haghighatdiana I found this link below to the Mockmill Professional 200. The Professional 100 may no longer be available in the USA.The only difference I know of between the Professional 100 and 200 is the speed at which the grain is milled. The 200 is faster.

These are the specs for the Mockmill Lino 100:
Specs:

Hopper Capacity (wheat): 2.8 lbs
Milling Stones: Corundum ceramic. 3.5″ diameter
Power: 360w
Coarseness Setting: very fine to coarse
Milling Output (wheat): 100 g (3.5 oz) finest flour per minute
Warranty: 2 Years for Industrial Use, 12 Years for Private Use
Dimensions: 15″ high x 9.5″ deep x 8″ wide
Housing: Wood and HI-MACS® – The Natural Acrylic Stone™
Length of electrical cord: 4 feet, 4 inches
Weight: 18 lbs

These are the specs for the Mockmill Professional 200:
Specs:

Hopper Capacity (wheat): 2.8 lbs
Milling Stones: Corundum ceramic. 3.5″ diameter
Power: 600w
Coarseness Setting: very fine to coarse
Milling Output (wheat): 200 g (7 oz) finest flour per minute
Warranty: 2 Years for Industrial Use, 12 Years for Private Use
Dimensions: 15″ high x 9.5″ deep x 8″ wide
Housing: Wood and HI-MACS® – The Natural Acrylic Stone™
Length of electrical cord: 6 feet
Weight: 20.7 lbs

The only difference I can see is in the speed of the motor. I have the older original Mockmill 100 that I purchased in 2018. I only mill I need for a single loaf of bread at a time and I can honestly tell you, it’s fast!

I looked up the Mockmill site directly and it appears that the Mockmill Professional 100 is not available in the United States as I haven’t found it on any site. It is available in Europe.

Here’s the Mockmill link in the USA: https://mockmill.us/shop/
Here’s the Mockmill link in Europe: https://mockmill.com/int/grain-mills/

I hope this comparative information helps you. I tried to do as thorough a search as I could.

Baking blessings,
Leah

Thank you so much Leah. This is very helpful.

1 Like

I recently bought a Mockmill Professional 200 and I’m trying out different grains.
I milled Hard White wheat and Red Fife on the finest setting (slightly below 0, when the stones touch), but the texture was a bit grainy. It feels like store bought rice flour or Kamut.
Since I never owned a stone mill before, I want to know what is the bottom line of “fine” flour without sifting?
I would appreciate any input that other Mockmill pro users may have!

My flour comes out pretty silky, so I’m thinking you can probably get your stones closer together. It’s hard to say without hearing them. Here’s a forum thread that has some info on dialing down the stones and getting the finest flour. It starts being about sifting but I think it has info you’ll find helpful.

1 Like

Melissa,
Thank you so much for the response and for the reference to the forum thread.
My Mockmill has a stone touch point that goes beyond Zero. I was a little nervous to push them even further from their initial contact to avoid wearing them down, but I guess I have to, in order to get the silky result that you’ve mentioned.
So far, I was able to get slightly finer flour, with some grains, but it is much better than it was before.
I also tried sifting through #30 mesh and got some bran out. The flour feels much smoother. I’m planning to order sifters with #40 & #50 mesh and test it out.
I’m working with hard wheat and my ultimate goal is to wean off of the store bought flour and to mill my own with various coarseness depending on what I bake.

My stone touch point is also below zero – it kinda migrates with time. You can actually move the dot or just use your ears.

To protect the stones, have them barely touch when you add the berries, then dial it tighter only once the wheat is between the stones. That way you’re not rubbing the stones together. Finally when the hopper is almost empty, loosen the stones a little, again to prevent major stone rubbing.

Sifting makes smoother flour, but you lose the nutrients that are in the bran and germ. It’s a trade off you have to find your personal comfort zone with.

You might search the forum for “soaker” and “whole wheat autolyse” for ideas to make whole grain flour easier to work with. A soaker is when you soften the bran/germ with boiling-hot water and later add it back to the dough. This tends to result in a better gluten structure in the final dough. You can also use the bran to line your proofing basket.

1 Like

Update : I added to this blog post an index of Breadtopia recipes that use only fresh-milled whole grain flour or, in the case of a few breads below, have been tested with home-milled flour since publication. I’m also pasting the list below for easy access.

Artisan Loaves

Whole Grain Sourdough Rustic Country Loaf

Traditional Whole Grain Miche

Slow Lazy Sourdough Bread

Yecora Rojo Sourdough Breads

Rouge de Bordeaux Sourdough Breads

Spelt Bread Recipe

Whole Emmer Sourdough Bread

Tourte de Seigle 100% Rye Bread

Whole Grain Kamut Sourdough Bread

Spelt and Kamut Whole Grain Sourdough

Whole Wheat Oat Porridge Sourdough Bread

Whole Grain Cranberry and Walnut Sourdough Bread

Corn Cheddar Jalapeno Sourdough Breads

Broa de Milho Portuguese Corn-and-Rye Bread

Grain Mash Sourdough Anadama Bread

Lithuanian Black Rye Sourdough Bread

Panis Quadratus Ancient Bread of Pompeii

Sandwich and Pan Breads

Whole Wheat Sourdough Hokkiado Milk Bread

Naturally Leavened Rye and Oat Bread

Naturally Leavened Einkorn Bread

Danish Rugbrod

Gluten Free Fermented Buckwheat Bread

Home Milled Cornbread

Pizza, Bagels, Rolls, Baguettes, Ciabatta

Whole Grain Sourdough Pizza

Whole Grain Sourdough Bagels

Whole Grain Potato Dinner Rolls

German Souls Bread Schwabische Seelen

Whole Grain Baguettes

Whole Grain Spelt Sourdough Ciabattas

Flatbreads, Crackers

Whole Wheat Pita Bread

Organic Rye Crackers

Organic Heritage Graham Crackers

Piadina Italian Flatbread (Emmer Variation)

Whole Grain Spelt Matzos

Faina Chickpea Flour Pancake

Pastries, Cookies and Desserts

Whole Grain Sourdough Date Rolls

Whole Grain Chelsea Buns with Cinnamon and Sage

Heritage Wheat Strawberry Shortcake

Whole Grain Ginger Snaps

Oatmal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Almost Granola Bar Cookies

Einkorn Chocolate Mint Chunk Cookies

Biscotti Traditional and Whole Grain Kamut

Butternut Squash Bread with Dark Chocolate and Walnuts