Home Milling with my Mockmill

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: Introducing the Mockmill Professional Line

A post was merged into an existing topic: Introducing the Mockmill Professional Line

@Fermentada How does the milling performance of the Pro 100 compare to your original 200? Just got my Pro 100 delivered today and can’t wait to use it!

Hi Mike,

Eric’s video shows the pro and original side by side if you haven’t already watched it here https://breadtopia.com/introducing-the-mockmill-professional-line/
And here’s some of what he says and my observations too:

The 100 vs 200 of either line means milling speed and motor size (100g vs 200g flour per minute).

The original Mockmill has a different method of calibrating or setting the stone distance. It’s not difficult, but it does require initial reading of instructions or watching a video. In contrast, the Pro calibration/setting is super easy-obvious. It is also easier to take apart the Mockmill Pro.

The Pro line has different cooling for the motor that allows the motor to run indefinitely. In the original Mockmill, the mill motor would prevent itself from overheating by stopping. In 1.5 years of milling for 1-2 loaves at a time, I never had that engage, but if you are baking in volume or running a bakery, the Pro motor cooling feature would be an asset.

The Pro line is solid wood and arguably more attractive than the eco friendly natural fiber material of the original…though again, in my 1.5 years of having the original Mockmill on my counter, I thought it looked lovely :slight_smile:

I hope this helps - I’m happy to answer more questions.

Melissa,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Since yesterday’s arrival of my Pro 100, I’ve been able to mill a small amount of Turkey Red and was surprised at how quickly it completed the task, even at the finest setting. I followed the adjustment technique demonstrated by @eric in the video you linked - starting the mill empty, stones just barely kissing, dumping in the grain, and finally tweaking the stones down a few more notches once it’s under load. On three separate occasions, I timed 100g going through the mill at just over 30 seconds. I ran one more test just now with 200g taking 1 minute 7 seconds.

Pretty impressive! I would have expected it to take twice as long. I was worried that I should have purchased one of the “200” models, but I worry no longer. These results lead me to believe that my machine is pretty seriously under-rated (that’s a good thing!), at least according to the spec sheet. Curious if others can replicate my findings. Looking forward to baking my first loaf with freshly milled flour very soon!

1 Like

Wow - that’s cool to hear. I’m going to be milling some wheat later today and will set a timer.

100g hard white wheat in 35 seconds in the Pro 100 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t take out a timer, but my subjective feeling when I milled 600g of wheat berries yesterday with my new Mockmill Pro 100 is that it was noticeably faster than milling the same amount of the same berries on my original Mockmill 100. I would also say that flour seemed to be exiting the spout in a more consistent stream with the Pro whereas with my original 100 I would see some measure of ebb and flow over time.

In the end, I don’t feel like the resulting flour from the Pro is “better” than the flour from the original Mockmill, and the time it took to mill a loaf’s worth of flour on the original 100 was not problematic for me (though the speedup is nice). But I will say that overall the Pro feels significantly more consistent and stable to me. I’d use the phrase “build quality” to describe the feeling I’m talking about and I can really feel the difference between the two in that realm.

Maybe a car analogy would be useful. The original Mockmill 100 feels kind of like my old 1961 VW beetle. The Pro feels like a new Mercedes. They will both get you from point A to point B, but you have a different experience in feeling as you go.

Aside from all that, the Mockmill Pro looks really, really nice on the counter.

I just received my new Mockmill Professional 100 and I love it! I had been using my old Whispermill but felt that I needed an upgrade for making artisan bread. I just milled some wheat and the flour is amazing. I used to see the large bran particles in the flour with my old mill but this is so much finer. The Mockmill Professional 100 is also quieter than my old mill.

If you are contemplating about buying this Mockmill Pro 100 mill vs the regular Mockmill 100, these are my opinions:

The Mockmill 100 requires set up so there is some work needed. In other words, it does not leave the factory ready for home use but needs setting up. First, you must first screw off the knob which is the lever that adjusts the course setting, then take off the hopper by pushing the tabs in, twist off the cap, remove the transport locks if applicable, twist the cap back on, and adjust the placement of the milling stone and lever. Then do the reverse by putting the hopper back on, and screwing the lever into the hopper. The lever is moved back and forth and tightened until you reach your desired settings for fine or course. If you want need a more finer or courser product, it requires removing the knob and turning the hopper. Then when you have reached your desired setting, screw the knob back on. This is difficult to follow as written instructions so there is a video showing how to do it.

I had purchased the Mockmill 100 but had a problem with it requiring me to send it back. I decided that I would not describe the problem here but would say that the mill did not leave the factory ready for home use. Because of this issue, it led to another problem. All of this was a minor and fixable but it did require sending it back to Breadtopia. Breadtopia has greatest customer service!*

After all that had happened, it did change my opinion on what model that would best serve me. I did not like the feature that requires a set up probably very easy for everyone else, but more challenging with the issue I had. I also did not like how to adjust the coarseness settingwith the Mockmill 100.

So I upgraded to the Mockmill Professional 100. It is the best! No set up required!! Just turn the mill on, pour in your grain and catch it with a bowl. To make adjustments to the fine and coarse setting, just turning the hopper until you here the stones touching. No more screwing and unscrewing the knob… No video to watch. So easy. Very Simple.*

The price difference between the Mockmill Pro 100 vs the Mockmill 100 is almost $200. Yes, the Mockmill Pro 100 is pricey but I just love the features. You can’t go wrong with the Mockmill 100. It just requires a little more work to get it going but it didn’t work out for me but that doesn’t mean it will be the same for you! In my case, it made sense to go with the Pro 100. By the way, the speed is just fine. The 100 is just fine for my needs. I hope this helps for those deciding on which mockmill. Good luck to your many choices for mills! Happy Baking!*

2 Likes

Hi Melissa,

Do you feel the Pro mills finer flour? I have the Mockmill 100, and was thinking of upgrading but only if I can fiber flour. I love the flour my country living grain mill with motor attachment makes, but it also takes a long time.

Becca

My husband and I did a comparison of flour from the Pro 100 and from the original 200 for fun. Nerdy fun – we did a double blind touch test of three bowls of flour, one mill’s flour represented twice, but of course we didn’t know which bowls were which.

We could not accurately pick out the different one, whether finer or coarser. Now, we did not have precise tools for particle measuring – just fingertips.

Perhaps someone will chime in with different data and experiences.

I just bought the MockMill Pro 100 – and immediately set to test it out at the finest grind with some hard red wheat I had stored for about a year in sealed container in the basement. I followed the instructions to clean the mill, then started experimenting with various grinds. At the finest – when the stones just barely touched – and then – for kicks – running through a 40 and then a 50 sifter – the flour was like Caputo 00 blue pizza flour – superfine, like a smooth powder. Very impressed. (I make a lot of neopolitan-esque pizzas in my wood-fired oven, so I have tons of Caputo 00 blue and red in my kitchen.) The Pro 100 milled 500g much quicker than I expected. After the milling, the flour was warm-ish but the mill itself was cool.

Then I made quick, simple loaf with 50% hard red wheat at finest grind – no sifting – and 50% KA Bread @ 75% hydration, Saf Red, and salt. Nothing fancy – but the end result was great.

What sorts of differences should I expect with home milled flour versus, say, KA bread flour? Do I need to add a bit more water? Add additional baking time?

I have no idea what to expect – so I’ve been scouring forums for more info – but I’m interested what kind of basic tips folks have for fresh milled versus store bought flours. I’m thinking of adding 20% hard red wheat into my pizza dough. Not sure if this will have any noticable impact. I normally use Caputo 00 blue @ 60-63% hydration for my Neopolitans.

1 Like

Congratulations on your new mill!

Reading and experimenting are the best way to go. Your question has two parts I think: how is whole grain baking different? How is home-milled whole grain different?

Whole grain flour is often thirstier (not einkorn) and can ferment faster than refined flour. It also has very different gluten development potential due to the presence of bran and germ, as well as depending on the wheat variety. Hard red spring wheat, for example, is what refined flours are mostly made from, whereas emmer or durum for example have different genetics and different ability to generate open crumb and oven spring even if they are sifted into being mostly white flour.

Home milling the wheat often means it’s sweeter. I also found it a bit thirstier than Breadtopia’s mill flour when I did some experiments during the writing of this blog

This is a useful recipe to read and understand

Autolysis is something that can improve the flavor of whole grain bread. This article explores the benefit of short vs long autolyzing. Some wheats, like einkorn and rye, don’t benefit from autolyzing at all in my experience.

One more lol – this experiment is with lamination (video in the blog)

Thanks for the great links. I appreciate it.

I’m especially interested in your whole grain sourdough posts. I suspect that’s something I will try in the very near future (as well as experimenting a bit of the milled grain into my pizza dough!)

My usual pizza dough is 600g flour and anywhere from 90-200g of that is whatever home-milled wheat I’m in the mood for or have in stock. Favorites include spelt (super stretchy), durum, and the reds (turkey, hard red, sprouted hard red).

Here’s the formula i developed last summer. When the whole grain component is at or close to 200g, I up the water to 400g. But really because of hand kneading, hydration becomes about feel and flour on the counter…also how much starter I have/want to use up.

This is such a great post! I love home milling my own wheat, and can feel myself falling into the rabbit hole of heritage and heirloom wheat varieties, with durum and turkey red being next on my list of grains to try. I have the Mockmill 100, which is great - even though mine has an issue that needs to be resolved, I still use it daily for waffles, biscuits, tortillas and bread. I love knowing that my family is getting great nutrition from fresh flour!

Glad you enjoyed the blog post. Yep, trying new wheat varieties is fun

I am wondering how much difference there is between the Mockmill Pro 100 and the Komo mills. They both seem to have the same type of mechanism for raising or lowering the milling stones. I’m hoping the Pro 100 mills finer flour.

Hi! Thanks for the great write up. I’m super curious with how you do corn tortillas using the Mockmill.