Home milled bread flour

I have a MockMill 100 and would like to mill my own bread flour. Which grains are best to substitute for milled white bread flour in most recipes?

@jmaienza, I absolutely LOVE my MockMill 100! However, when it comes to using white bread flour I honestly just buy it, already milled, here on Breadtopia. In order to achieve “pure white bread flour” at home you’d not only need to finely mill it (which the MockMill will certainly do) but you need to sift out all the resulting bran and germ from the milling, time consuming, laborious and you might still not end up with a pure white bread flour; which is one of the reasons I just buy it. The other reason is my husband medically isn’t allowed “whole grain” so by buying Breadtopia’s completely white organic bread flour I can make him his own separate loaves. I use my MockMill to mill the whole grain that I want to add to my separate loaves in addition to the already milled bread flour I use. Enjoy experimenting with your MockMill. I think you’ll love it as much as I do.

Leah

Thanks Leah! Does bread flour give a better rise? I’m more interested in that than the color. Appreciate your thoughts.

Yes, in my personal opinion I do believe that the white bread flour does give me a higher rise. I’ve made my NK sourdough recipes from here on Breadtopia using just the white bread flour with no added whole grain and I get an exceptional rise. I have to make bread with no whole grain for my husband’s medical requirements. Even when I use “his” white bread flour for my personal sourdough loaf, once I add the whole grain to the recipe the rise is a bit less. Whole grains weigh more. The starter has to work a bit harder to lift it. Don’t let that discourage you from using whole grains in your sourdough bread. The added flavor is wonderful and it does give a nutritional boost. I keep two different Breadtopia “bread flours” in my fridge: the High Protein Bread Flour, which is the pure white flour. It does give an exceptional rise. The other flour I keep is the Select Bread Flour which has a bit of whole grain in it. It’s a wonderful bread flour if you want to incorporate more whole grain into your breads and still be able to use a good bread flour for the rise. I find the rise with the Select flour to be a bit less than when I use the High Protein bread flour. My personal theory is that the whole grain aspect of the bran and germ not only weigh a bit more but they also have some sharper edges which may impede or cut the gluten strand formation. I’m NO scientist but I tend to read a lot…and tend to overthink things, LOL!

Leah

1 Like

Thanks!**_Leah! I”ll take your advice and get some Breadtopia bread flour.