Home Mill Machine

Hi,
Has anyone here use the Family Grain Mill? Can someone compare the Family Grain Mill to the Mockmill 200? Both are made in Germany
Thank you,
a

Can someone share how the Mockmill stand alone is better than attachments for the Kitchen Aid machine?
Thank you,
a

I have both. The FGM is all plastic. My Wolfgang (now called Mockmill) is a 10, the FGM a 3. The only thing I use the FGM for is splitting peas. If you are going to spend the money, get the best in the beginning, you will not be sorry you did. I’ve had my Wolfgang for 6 years now…and it just keeps on grinding and grinding.

With the Wolfgang, and you want fine milled, you will get fine…if you want coarse, you will get coarse. And I like that at any time you can just rotate the head to change the grind fineness.

With the FGM it is a hit or a miss. I don’t trust plastic for something like this kind of product. It looks chinzy. And keep in mind that it isn’t very heavy so it is going to bounce around with hard to grind things like garbanzos. The FGM is never going to hold up the way the Wolfgang will, especially if you use a mill a lot.

Even now, after all these years, seeing my Wolfgang on the counter brings a smile - it isn’t just a mill, it is a work of art. All those beautiful dovetails, the prettiness of the wood, it is something you feel grand about, leaving it on the counter instead of hiding it away in a cabinet somewhere.

The Kitchen Aid attachment works well but is quite slow. Not a big deal but if you’re doing a few loaves … Upgrading is on my list of things to do.

The Mockmills are different from the Komo Classic mill, which is wooden, with lovely dovetailing on it. The Komo is made in Austria, while the Mockmill is made in Germany from arbowood, a resin and woodfiber material.

Both of these brands were designed by Wolfgang Mock. The Mockmill comes in several different models: the first one released was an attachment to stand mixers like the KitchenAid. The second was the arbowood one (this is available from Breadtopia as the Mockmill 100 or 200). The third versions incorporate rotating heads similar to those used on the Komo to alter the grind of the grains. (These, too, are available on Breadtopia.)

I haven’t used the third versions, which are considerably more expensive than the earlier Mockmills; what they gain in ease of use is considerably offset by their much higher prices.

So I’ll comment here only on the first two versions of the Mockmill and on the Komo Fidibus Classic and Komo Fidibus 21, all of which I’ve used and/or owned.

The Komo mills are lovely, traditional, and sheathed in beechwood veneer. They are a little faster than the first version of the Mockmill, and they do not grind quite as finely, if fineness is one of your criteria. They range in price at full retail from about $350 up. The smaller ones like the Fidibus 21 don’t handle dent or flint corn very well; their stones are smaller than the larger models and aren’t designed for this purpose. The Komo Fidibus Classic, which currently sells at retail for about $500, does a good enough job on dent and flint corn as well as on very hard dried legumes, and of course on wheat and other grains. These are very handsome mills, and lots of people leave them out all the time because they are not only compact but also beautiful.

As for the two first versions of the Mockmills: the one intended as an attachment on a stand mixer is slow compared to its freestanding successors. Unless you are not going to use your mill much, you might be happier with one of the freestanding ones, i.e., the Mockmill 100 or Mockmill 200.

Unless you are doing a lot of milling on a daily basis, the 100 will probably work for you very well. It’s fast, it mills extremely finely, as well as coarsely. The only catch to it is that instead of using a rotary motion to move the stones closer to or farther away from each other, as you would on the Komo mills and the third-generation Mockmills, you would instead use a lever that runs back and forth forth in a linear path to move the stones. It’s a little more time-consuming and non-intuitive, but it takes little time to become accustomed to it.

Both these freestanding Mockmills (100 and 200) have small footprints, mill more quietly than the Komo Classic, and do a terrific job. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help!
The information provided is very helpful and much appreciated.
Anh

Thank you everyone, I have the Mockmill Lino 200 for couple weeks now, and am very pleased with the flour from this mill.
It is loud, but doesn’t last so long, so we can endure these few minutes!
a