Heritage Wheat Strawberry Shortcake

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the "Reply" button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue "Log In" button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Thank you for sharing such useful tips. I will definitely love to try such delicious strawberry cakes.

Visited the webpage. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love to bake cakes and i will definitely try this at home.

Hi, I’m excited to try this soon and I don’t have date sugar. The internet says date sugar is sweeter than cane sugar. I’m curious if you have noticed that difference and think I should bump the regular sugar amount?
Google search tells me 2/3-to-1, date to white sugar.
Thanks!

@Fermentada Melissa Great question! It’s true that date sugar is sweeter than white cane sugar. A ratio of 2/3c date sugar to 1c white sugar should do the job.

Thank you. I gave the recipe a try and loved it. For the shortcake part, I added a little more sugar since i was using cane sugar, like an extra 3/4 Tbsp. The sugar amounts elsewhere, I just left the same, figuring I could sprinkle more on the strawberries if i felt it was missing (and whipped cream I liked the ratio as is).

I used fresh-milled sprouted spelt flour, which was so tasty. Surprisingly, it absorbed less of the milk. Rather than follow your thoughtful instruction to add it slowly, I dumped the milk in the food processor :joy: but a little more flour fixed that and all was well.

Thank you for a great recipe! Here’s a pic of my final product.

20190708_181942~2-947x947-473x473