Help! I’ve over proofed my no knead dough

I’m new at bread making and have had some great success, but last effort with the dough (4 cups flour / 2 cups water ) was left over night and I wake up to a very weak over proofed dough. I deflated and refolded and put into the basket…should I do more??

1 Like

This happened to me not long ago … I shaped and then when there was barely any new activity: baked, i.e. a very short rise after shaping. It did fine which surprised me as I was expecting a brick. So if you haven’t preheated your oven, do it now and get that loaf in the oven. Hopefully, you will be pleasantly surprised. And don’t worry if it is still cool from frig - that’s ok.

1 Like

That’s what I figured, thanks for sharing!

Check out the link below from Modernist Cuisine on what to do.

How to Rescue Overproofed Dough

I take exception to the info in that link!

“Sourdoughs are more problematic; you should attempt to revive a sourdough only if it was made and proofed within a few hours. Sourdoughs that are cold-proofed overnight or longer acidify because of the presence of lactic acid bacteria. This acidification makes the dough very tough; as a result, if you degas and reshape it, the dough is overly tense, and still tough. You’ll end up with a loaf that doesn’t expand or bake well, and that is also misshapen and very sour. While some people (including us) like that biting flavor, others may find it too sour.”

Not my experience and even the “non-sourdough” info seems a bit sketchy to me.

Do you have experience with their method? I’m unclear what their method is …

Far from perfect experience but I view the situation when a dough is over-roofed as damage control. Is it a perfect solution; absolutely not. Is it better than doing nothing, definitely yes.

Thank you for the information, but as you said it’s a small chance of success especially with sourdough.

I baked it right away and as we expected, it’s very dense and flat. I honestly don’t mind the taste!