Hamburger & Hot Dog Buns

I made hamburger and hotdog buns from the book yesterday into this morning, and I figured I’d share some of my tips and bloopers.

Kitchen temperature was about 78F. For the whole grain component, I used fresh-milled hard white spring wheat.

It took 9.5 hours for the sweet stiff starter to more than double.

The bulk fermentation was basically complete in 4 hours at room temperature, but then I refrigerated the bowl so I could sleep.

First photo is after mixing. Second photo is the next morning just out of the refrigerator. Third photo is the underside of the well-fermented dough.

3.75 hour final proof in a warm kitchen but the dough started out cold. Only one hotdog bun was shaped nicely. I need to improve on this!

Also, I took the buns out after an extra 5 minutes of baking, and the inside temperature was 211F, but they are quite pale. I believe this minimal Maillard reaction is due to a large drop in pH during the retarded bulk fermentation. Next time, no refrigeration.

1 Like

Looking forward to trying this sourdough hamburger bun recipe next week. Till now I’ve been making yeast hamburger rolls. Thanks for the details

Here is a fantastic and thorough (but not too long) video of @jeffmarkel making the hotdog buns with this recipe - effective shaping approach I plan to try next time.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CD-EXauD4Qw/?igshid=1v1vbsjy7p4ew