Grilled Sourdough Pizza

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the "Reply" button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue "Log In" button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

You may have answered this elsewhere in other comments, but what is the status of the starter you are using in your recipes and does it matter? Is it recently refreshed (within 3-5 hours of feeding so it is really bubbly), straight out of the refrigerator? As an example the no-knead sourdough and this recipe both just say “starter”. I keep mine in the refrigerator.

It matters in that it should be healthy when used. It can be healthy and ready straight out of the fridge. If it’s not, I’ll take it out and feed it within a day or so of using. You know it’s healthy when it’s bubbly and spongy and looks nice. If it’s flat, liquid on top, moldy, maybe smells bad… it needs feeding.

Eric, You have done it again. I’ve been making pizza dough for years and never attempted, nor thought of Sour-dough. I’ve been successfully making SD breads because of your recipes. Now adding this recipe to my SD list is taking pizza to another level… So good it knocked my socks off. My wife, son, daughter-in-law are also sockless.

Thanks

2 Likes

Can I back order Super pizza peel cloth?

Yes, only it will likely be mid to end of January before we get more in.

http://breadtopia.com/store/super-peel-cloth/

Thanks, Eric, for your recipes and very informative videos. I have been making your sourdough pizza crust using about 1/3 each of all-purpose flour, sifted Red Fife flour and fine corn flour with an overnight fermentation in the fridge and a couple hours to rise at room temperature. From one batch, I can make three crusts that fit my peel and baking stone. I preheat my 1/2" thick stone on my 3-burner barbecue with the lid down to about 650 degrees. I do not prebake the crust before adding the toppings, but the pizzas cook in about 4 minutes. The crusts are typically very thin and crisp, almost like a cracker, with a flavor somewhat like a corn tortilla. Delicious!

1 Like

Can the dough be frozen at some stage for later use? I freeze yeasted dough, and I assume that sourdough would be similar?

I currently use the Peter Reinhart’s yeasted pizza dough recipe. After kneading the dough I divide and freeze. On pizza day, in the morning I transfer the dough balls from the freezer to the refrigerator (to defrost, and 90 minutes before baking, I remove the dough fromt he refrigerator.

Ok, just tried this recipe and it turned out fantastic best forming pizza dough ever, I did change it up a bit, 3 cups starter, 3 cups brread flour, 2 tbs honey 3/4 tbs kosher salt, 4 tbs olive oil. My wife likes very thick pizza’s this turned out really well, thanks so much.

I’ve made this several times using a rye starter. Makes for an absolutely delicious crispy crust.

I was just going to ask about starter type! I just converted some of my rye starter to a large amount of spelt starter because I want to make spelt ciabatta but everyone wants pizza tomorrow. I haven’t watched the entire video so maybe the question is answered, but I want to bake this crust in the oven. Will it work well? I tend to use spelt starter and white bread flour. This is my first time working with spelt. Hope it tastes ok. Thanks!

Should be fabulous!

:grinning:

Hello, newbie here. I’ve been getting used to using grams to measure everything out but this recipe has cups and tablespoons. Is there any way to get the measurements in grams, please? Thanks!