Grain Mill Options

(mathgun) #1

Hi — my first post. I was wondering what people think about the vitamin dry grain container vs. a standalone grain mill or the kitchen aid attachment. Just wondering what would be best. Many thanks for any input.

(Eric) #2

Hi. Do you mean the Vitamix mixer?

(mathgun) #3

Yes I meant Vitamix. Sorry for the typo!

(easummers) #4

A bit more information in your question might get better answers … for example, what volume do you think you will be grinding and how often, what grain(s)?

I have an 11 year old Vita-Mix and do have a dry blade container. I use the dry blade container primarily for bread crumbs and nuts/nut butters. I have ground rice, oatmeal and some einkorn berries in small amounts and it does fine. I haven’t used the others so cannot compare but if it was my decision and I was planning on grinding what I, as a 1 human household, use on a weekly basis (700-1400 grams ground), I would buy a mill specifically for that purpose. The Vita-Mix heats things up AND whatever you are grinding is constantly hitting the blades vs a mill which I believe is grinding/sifting and so the ground bits are exiting when they are ground.

(easummers) #5

Other details that might be helpful. Do you already have a Vita-Mix or a KitchenAid so are you talking adding just a dry blade container or the KA attachment vs a grain mill.

But making an assumption that you are wanting to know which does the best at grinding, even without comparison, I have to believe that a mill, designed solely for the purpose of grinding grain, would do the best job.

(mathgun) #6

Thank you for your response and apologies for the general phrasing of my question. I make sourdough bread, using variations of the tartine method. I have been curious about milling my own flour and was hoping to gather a sense of the different options. I do have both a Vitamix and a Kitchen Aid, but it does sound like a stand-alone mill might produce the best results.

(easummers) #7

I have not watched all of the videos, but Eric has a great selection of grain mill review videos that might give a sense of the grain mill results. If you have a VitaMix, I’d say give it a try and see what you think for a batch - in comparison with whatever flour you use.

I am also a tartine method sourdough baker and a mill is on my wish list … maybe :). It is not just cost but real estate/storage. I am in NW Montana and there are 2 Montana family farm operations that supply not only wheat berries, but ground flours so I’m a bit on the fence about grinding my own as what I can buy ground is fresh and local.

(easummers) #8

Videos are: Tutorials and then Product Reviews

(mathgun) #9

Sounds great if you can already get freshly milled flour. I see the appeal. I’m in NYC and haven’t really looked around for that — but someone must sell it. Meanwhile thanks for all of your help!

(gunther6) #10

I have been using the dry container for grinding flour with my Vitamix, for many years. I use frozen wheat kernels. My flour has never gotten very warm. I grind one cup of kernels at a time. By the time I have emptied the flour into a bowl, the machine is ready for the next cup. I have never felt the need to purchase a separate mill. After watching Eric excellent series on mills , I noticed they also heat the flour.
I couldn’t live without my Vitamix. Use almost every day for one thing or another. Good luck with your search.

(Stuart) #11

I have an ancient vitamix that is so old it has a stainless steel container and have ground some grains. It does a decent job but the particle size is hard to control. I also have the smallest Komo and it does an excellent job and I would recommend highly. If I were in your situation I would look at the Mock Mill attachment for your Kitchenaid it has the same stones and engineering as the Komo and you wouldn’t have to pay for another motor. Good luck on your search.

(Melissa) #12

I got the Mockmill200 (Christmas present - my hint dropping to my husband worked! Lol). I’ve made one loaf of bread so far and am making another today.

So excited to keep exploring. This was all spelt wheat with some bran sifted out (93% extraction). The flavor is amazing.

(mlw03) #13

I’ve tried all 3 - using a powerful blender (Blendtec, Mockmill attachment to stand mixer, and stand-alone mill). While they all work, I do think the best option is a stand-alone mill, such as the Mockmill 200 or a Komo. They’re the most expensive option, but you get what you pay for I think. The finest, most consistent flour. The other options work, but my best results have come from the Komo.

(Brewcat) #14

I have a barley crusher grain mill for brewing is this something I could use. I don’t crush flour but have crushed malted barley and sifted a little bit of that flour into a bread I made. Still a new Baker but looking to learn. My mill is set at .025.