Gluten Free Fermented Buckwheat Bread

(Melissa) #81

You’re welcome - I enjoy troubleshooting :slight_smile:

Like you, I can’t see any reason why the fermentation would work for one recipe and not the other, and your methods and bowl situation seem ideal.

Are you using a different bag of groats or is it much cooler now? As I mentioned above, the fermentation to have it grow by 50% is around 24 hours when ambient temps are winter (mid 60s) and often less than 12 hours in summer temps around 80 F.

The recipe on Hormones Balance (HB) is basically the same, like you said, apart from the amount of groats. Was your HB loaf dense as well as flat? If it wasn’t dense, I suspect it was flatter simply because there are fewer groats.

Maybe do a hybrid and see if if simply upping the amount of groats – maybe to 2 cups – makes for the height loaf that you want.

Let me know how this goes and all the best to your son! Also, I love buckwheat and this recipe, but you might want to check out this recipe too if you’re looking for additional gluten-free breads.

(erindn) #82

Thanks for your quick reply! The other bread you linked to looks great but my son can’t have most of the ingredients so I’ll stick with this one. :slight_smile:

The HB loaf wasn’t dense but kind of flimsy, if that makes sense! I’ll give it a try with 2 cups next time. I’m also going to buy a different brand of buckwheat and try your recipe with it. I used the same brand but different bags of groats when making the two different recipes. And I also used 2 different bags when I made your recipe the two times. I kept the temperature the same for all the loaves I’ve made. It’s just so very strange!

I live in Germany and thought maybe there was something in our water but I had the same issue with bottled water.

I’ll report back! Thanks again.

(alien777) #83

Oh! Thought all have left this discussion a while ago… Now someone’s back, so am I. After experiencing the “cave in” problem, I continued baking one loaf BB every week and tried to figure out the best condition before baking. Finally, I found out the main cause of the “cave in” issue is under-fermented! That said, but how to properly ferment BW into optimal condition makes hard answer. From my experience, taking other factors away, mostly I had difficulty to get the right time for good fermentation. Everyone’s baking place, weather, environmental condition, recipe ingredients, etc are different, but I came up to the recent successful loafs as this: (winter time in the central valley, CA) 1. soak BW in water and lemon juice overnight (~12 hrs), 2. process soaked BW with all ingredients and ferment in baking pan for ~48 hrs (2 overnights) to desired raise, 3. bake.

If anyone ferment BW for 24 hrs without success, I suggest give it more time up to 48 hrs. (maybe add some soaking time too) GL

(syros) #84

Hi. If I want to add chia seeds to this recipe, do I soak them first and for how long or could they be added to the groats fermenting?

Thank you
Sharon

(Melissa) #85

It’s probably safer to soak the chia seeds first, because they do absorb a lot of water, and could mess up the hydration of the batter if you don’t.

Measure the amount of water and chia seeds you use, so that the next time, if you want, you can simply add that amount of additional water and chia seeds to the batter at the beginning, without the presoak.

I don’t think it would be a problem to then add them at the start of the fermentation of the buckwheat batter.