Gluten Free Biscotti

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

Fun fact if you speak British English. In the USA biscuits are more like scones but in the UK biscuits are more like cookies. The word biscuit comes from biscotti. That’s why we call them biscuits because they’re like the texture of biscottis. So the question is why Americans call biscuits - cookies and scone like things - biscuits?

Nice recipe. Two questions…

1: can I use any gluten free flour and not one with all the extra additions? i.e. 100% wholegrain millet?
2: out of curiosity why do you recommend ordinary olive oil but advise not to use extra virgin olive oil?

…and biscochos in most Spanish-speaking countries are cookies/like UK biscuits, except Spain where they’re sponge cakes :thinking::grin:

I would maybe try a half batch with whole grain millet flour, just in case it’s too crumbly, you haven’t lost all those (expensive) nuts.

The flavor of extra virgin olive oil is pretty potent and I prefer it in savory dishes (salad/tomatoes/ dipping bread) but regular and light olive oil are muted and work fine in cookies and cakes that call for oil, too, in my opinion.

1 Like

Sponge cakes? That’s moving even further away from Biscottis :thinking: :smile:

Good idea and thanks for the explanation.

P.s. please see my question I’ve just posted to your buckwheat sourdough recipe. Not sure if I should move on or wait the full 24 hours. It seems very active but hasn’t been so warm here. Do I wait or push on?

1 Like