Freezing Sourdough Bread Dough

Good info! Thanks for sharing. Wow - the air fryer is so fast.

Do you use the same temperature when you bake the fully proved frozen loaf as you do your regular loaves?

Yes, same temperature but different lid-on time and length. You probably already saw the lid and time info here, but just in case:

Strategy A

Shaped, fully proofed, then frozen in the proofing basket. Popped out of the basket and double bagged a few hours later. I left the dough in the freezer for a week. When my oven and baking vessel were preheated, I unbagged the dough, scored it while it was frozen-solid, and baked it immediately. I left the baking vessel lid on for 30 minutes while it was baking in hopes of effectively steaming the crust. (I peeked at the bread after 20 minutes and saw it looked strange.) The crust texture ended up fine, but the appearance was odd. The dough also needed 5-10 minutes extra in the oven compared with the other loaves.

Thank you! Trying this today

Good luck!

Have you tried thawing the fully proofed loaf before baking?

I haven’t. If you try it, maybe put the bagged dough back in the basket to help keep the shape.

Thank you

https://youtu.be/NlIuDpQmEVU

An excellent YouTube channel with many lovely recipes.

1 Like

Good video Abe, thanks for sharing it. I usually fully bake, slice and then freeze the slices of bread. For baguettes I’ve fully baked and then freeze them whole wrapped in clingfilm. When I want to have a baguette I warm the oven and pop one in. I haven’t tried parbaking them yet, that sounds like it would be the best way to have a fresh baguette.

I’ve never tried freezing or par baking but came across this video so thought i’d post it. He has also just done a new recipe on a cinnamon and raisin bread which looks very nice.