First try at Three Stage 90% Sourdough Rye

I am trying to do more baking with rye, and finally gave Hamelman’s recipe a try. I did not add additional yeast, but relied solely on my starter. While I was making the dough, I was sure that I was going to end up with two bricks. Happily, that was not the case. I do have one question that I’m hoping someone can help me with. I used whole rye, as directed, for the first stages. For the final dough I needed medium rye. I got out my sifter for the first time, and while it did a fantastic job sifting, I made a mess! Does anyone have a trick for not ending up with flour everywhere when you sift?

3 Likes

Amazing color and even crumb.
Here are some sifting neatness tricks

1 Like

Thank you for the parchment tip! Great idea! I have the Mockmill 100 (from Breadtopia), but I don’t think it has Pro in its name so is probably a different model. Nonetheless, it does a fine job mill in the grain. It seems very fine to me. However, when I used my 40 mesh sifter it did catch a fair amount of bran. By the way I cut my second loaf after I made my post and its crumb was a bit more open. The first loaf was baked in a normal loaf pan and the second one was baked in my breadtopia Clay Baker. I’m sticking with the Clay Baker from now on.

2 Likes

I think both loaves turned out terrific, Kathryn. Well done.
Richard

Thanks for your kind words!

@kateo Hi Kathryn! I also have the Mockmill 100, the older model, not the newer pro one. I purchased mine in 2018. It’s an awesome mill and does a great job for me. I’m glad to know it works well for you too. I also have the Breadtopia covered clay baker and I love it! In fact, it’s the ONLY thing I bake my bread in. I love rye bread, having grown up on it as a child. Enjoy that rye bread. It looks wonderful!

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like

This is an incredible rye bread. I’ve only used rye at about 29% percent and will have to try much more in the future. Your bake is inspiring.
Benny

Melissa you are truly incredible. It is a rare occasion that you not know the answer to these baking questions. You are such an asset to this website.
Benny

1 Like

Hi Leah! I’ve tried the cast iron, but much prefer the clay. I like rye, too. I’m trying to add rye to my regular rotation as it not only tastes good, but also has some great health benefits.

1 Like

Thanks, Benny! Rye produces a very different dough, doesn’t it? It kind reminds me of wet cement— just stickier! And yet, it does rise—just differently than a wheat recipe. I love the Artisan Sourdough Rye recipe on this site. The flavors are wonderful, and since it’s 50% rye, the dough is not quite so cement-ish.

1 Like

Kathryn I’ve got to have a look at that rye recipe here, I really should try more than the 29% that I’ve done so far. Since I’ve switched to feeding my starter only rye, I become quite familiar with the cement like qualities of rye and I’m not freaked out about it anymore like I was initially.

Thank you, Benny, that’s super nice to hear.

I agree with Benny, and really appreciate all your help!

@kateo and @Benito Kathryn and Bennie, I love the Artisan Sourdough Rye recipe here on Breadtopia. I’ve not only made that one and loved it, but I ended up modifying it a bit to better resemble the New York/Jewish style rye I remember as a child. That modification is my standard, go-to rye bread recipe.

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like