First time and success!

I am so excited, I feel like a pro! Having watched videos on this site that take you every step of way in a very short period of time I have “mastered” starting and maintaining my starter (last step, will the freeze/dried starter work? Stay tuned …)
But sourdough muffins (both baked and grilled (though a bit non round as I didnt have muffin rings) ) turned out great as did my very first sourdough loaf…next batch starter in jar happily bubbling…I haven’t felt this proud since the first time I brought eggs in from my chickens!

1 Like

Welcome to home bread baking and to this little corner of the bread baking world.

Very nice looking loaf there - great work.

If that is a sealed jar that your starter is in, you should change that a little bit. Sourdough starter is an aerobic fermentation culture - the yeasts and good bacteria in there need oxygen. You want to loosely cover the jar but not have it sealed so some air can get in there.

Thanks! appreciate any advice, thought actually it isn’t tight, I just have it on as a bit of a weight on the wrap as had some fruit flies that day that were attracted to the starter and very determined (needed to take out my worm compost bin). All is good, have made about 3 more loaves and even experimented with a recipe using oatmeal.