Fibrament stones

I purchased a stone for my oven and grill. There isn’t any mention of placing cold dough on either the oven stone or the grill stone. I searched on the net and could not find an answer either but in several places people have said the “Fibrament has quite a bit lower thermal conductivity (0.67 vs 3.0 W/m-K) and is nowhere near as resistant to thermal shock.” Does not tell me anything except could be an issue.

As I cracked a Romertoph attempting the cold dough routine I wanted to try on the stone without doing damage. Maybe placing cold dough on a hot pan (on top of the fibrament) would work?

Any comments, maybe @eric can find out from the manufacturer? Thanks.

No experience at all, but I was curious and as no one has replied … have you seen this info:
Baking stone facts (this is re Fibrament baking stones specifically)

I have a fibrament stone and have put ciabatta dough that was refrigerator temp onto it and also ice cubes a few times. No problems. Just anecdotal experience though.

I did anon66425146 which inspired my thoughts on the aluminum or steel pan on top. There is a mention of aluminum foil reducing the “thermal shock.” It would be nice to get a comment from the manufacturer.

As it is summer instead of heating the house up I have been using my grill and the fibrament with great success. Whole grain pizza, baked my rye in a loaf pan, also a boule in a iron pot , both buckwheat-chia bread and banana buckwheat chia which of course is very wet.

Would like to try to chill my rye after shaping to see if it will hold its shape by itself. I played with Eric’s very wet rye down to a 69% hydration and it holds shape much better without any sacrifice in texture or crumb. I would like to place the cold dough on either the stone in the oven or grill and see if it would hold it’s shape but after my disastrous trial with the clay baker I am gun shy. :laughing:

Interesting… ice cubes!!! :roll_eyes: YOU ARE daring…:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I found the manufacturer of the Fibrament D stone that Eric sells and emailed them questioning the cold dough and water issue. They do say not to let oil or water touch the stone. I’ll respond with their answer next week.

I spoke to Mark O’Toole from Fibrament and he said placing 40 degree F dough on the stone is fine it won’t hurt it.

As far as ice cubes or cold water is concerned it is a no-no.

1 Like

Cool! Thanks for getting that info. (Luckily I find a drip pan on a shelf under the stone better than ice!)

Can’t do that in my grill. Have sprayed under the stone with water on the diverters but hate to open the top up for loss of heat. I’ll think of something one of these days as long as I keep waking up in the morning. :rofl:In the kitchen oven I use a foil pan with a pinhole in it that drips to a larger tray under the stone. That has worked but still playin…:grin:

Do you put regular bread in your grill to bake too?
I only create steam in the oven for ciabatta and baguettes on the fibrament. Pizza - I don’t bother.

Have baked maybe 30 pizzas so far on the grill.

Made hard rolls on the stone (sprayed water on the diverters)
I have baked my rye in a pan.
my buckwheat & chia in a pan.
my buckwheat, chia & banana in a pan.
and for the second time the Sourdough Einkorn
Next rye will be formed, proofed, chilled and placed on the stone.

Interesting in that the Einkorn did exactly the same as other previous bakes where the starter was REALLY active. Only had about a 20% rise from bulk, panned it in a 9x5 & let rise to the top of pan. Did not get any spring and can see from the finished loaf it was ready to collapse so it was almost over-proofed.

The grill is fun to deal with for bread. Heat slow until stone is 350-375 (top is 400-425) then turn off all burners to allow the top to cool off down to 350 or so. Then turn one burner back on to maintain the proper heat.

Time for a bourbon on ice!! :laughing:

That’s a very cool setup. The crumb of your einkorn looks good to me!

That is a serious grill set-up.

Always adding or doing something around here. That setup has a small frig. and I am adding a temperature controller to it so I can keep the temperature at 68F for extended cold proofs. The refrigerator in my “mill room” is 40F and too cold for extended proofs. Every time I try I fail miserably…BUT I will persevere and if I live long enough I WILL get it right. :innocent:

There are some interesting baking experiments being reported on in the Instagram account below, looking at baking bread and the impact of heat from above, moisture, heat from below with different baking strategies, oven settings and different steaming approaches.

I think you might enjoy reading them (a series of three posts so far)