Experimenting with Different Flours in Sourdough Starter

@Abe Thank you, Abe! Apple rye does sound like a lovely combination. Have you tried this quite unique rye recipe?
Rye Chocolate Cherry Sourdough | Breadtopia
I’ve made it numerous times and it’s wonderful. The first few times I made this recipe with dried Bing cherries which were what I had in my house at the time. It was very good. But when I made this with the Montmorency cherries which are more sour cherries, the resulting bread was spectacular! If you’re interested in “different” rye bread, I can personally recommend trying this recipe.

Blessings,
Leah

1 Like

I haven’t, Leah. Thank you for bringing it to my attention! Chocolate Cherry Sourdough sounds wonderful. At the moment I’m priming my yeast water for Hamelman’s Swiss Farmhouse Bread however the Chocolate Cherry is next on my to do list. Thank you.

1 Like

@Fermentada Melissa, I just took this rye loaf out of the oven.

I’m so glad I doctored Cyril the other day by giving him a clean jar and reducing his hydration so that he really ate heartily and most certainly doubled. I think this is the best oven spring I’ve ever gotten on my rye bread! This loaf is my modified version of Eric’s artisan sourdough rye recipe. Like Eric’s, this loaf is a 50/50 ratio of rye to bread flour. I’m looking forward to slicing into this rye later today.

Blessings,
Leah

Gorgeous! I’m still in the starter feeding stage for the rye bread lol. I did bake a couple of “we just need bread” breads between last night and today though, 30g starter for 1000g flour, out all night on the counter, lazy room temp process until 20 min in the freezer before scoring.

@Fermentada I was wondering if you had baked a rye bread today. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m still waiting to slice into this one though I admit I’m looking forward to seeing the crumb and munching on a hunka rye! Now that I’ve baked the rye I realize I could use a loaf of “we just need bread” so I might prep one of those. I still have about half a loaf each of my hubby’s special cinnamon bread in the freezer and the sourdough apple almond raisin I made recently. But, I might bake a basic sourdough loaf in the next day or two because I have plenty of freshly fed Cyril. Besides, having a selection of sliced bread in my freezer to choose from is just nice.

BTW, I’m saving those ends and “bit’s-o-bread” (those incredibly mis-sliced or weird shaped pieces of bread we all seem to get when slicing) in a bag in the freezer so I can make another batch of that incredible stuffing we loved at Thanksgiving. A piece of bread here, a piece of bread there and I’ll have enough in that bag to make some soon.

But now I need some lunch, then to throw in some laundry and start to prep a Cincinnati chili to go into the Crockpot for dinner; not to mention some cornbread later to go with the chili. Hmmm, I think I live in the kitchen! :upside_down_face:

Blessings,
Leah

@Leah1 I live in the kitchen too : ) Here’s the rye starter and very cementy dough I mixed up.

@Abe That site looks fantastic. I will try the borodinsky bread soon. Today’s dough is satisfying a craving / curiosity I have about mixing rye and oat flours, all fresh milled, no refined flour. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

@Fermentada I sliced my rye bread this morning. I love this rye recipe. It’s my slightly modified version of Eric’s artisan sourdough rye. Eating this rye bread is a trip down memory lane of eating rye bread in my childhood home with my parents while growing up. The same bread as what I ate growing up? No, but the flavor takes me back. Honestly, this rye is even better than what I had as a child! Not only is there a larger ratio of rye in my bread (50% rye, 50% bread flour) versus the store-bought rye, my bread is made by me with just a small handful of organic ingredients!

rye slice April 2021)
We enjoyed nice toasted rye with our eggs this morning.

Bread is a blessing!
Leah

Looks perfect to me! You are definitely an expert in the Artisan Rye recipe.

1 Like

@Fermentada Awww, thanks!! :grinning:

Dennis, I just bought the Rye Baker and noticed that almost all of the recipes start with “rye sour culture” - 100% rye flour and water; 24 hour intervals between feeding. Each of my tries has failed. My culture is stiff and has very few bubbles. I’m in Michigan and it is cold here - interior temps of 70 degrees during the day, 65 degrees at night. Is that it? I use whole grain rye flour, filtered water from the tap. Any tips? Fred

Hi Fred! Actually since I posted that comment in the forum I have been making a lot of rye and are now keeping a sour in the refrigerator. I am using a 144% hydration rye sour that was originally made some time ago from my white flour starter. I make several rye and use this same % on all the sours. I consider a rye sour as an over mature starter and when I make it I allow it to rise fully and fall back (over mature). I also use instant yeast to leaven the dough and do not rely on the sour. It has an acid smell to it, very bubbly. Now drier hydrations will not do that (for the most part) and you need to test the drier sour with a pH meter for about a 3.5 or so pH. A PIA so went to the liquid sour.

Start out with a very small amount of your white starter and feed it with a 144% hydration rye flour. Let it rise up and fall. Mark the jar with a rubber band and try to keep track of it. Do this several times as you will need plenty of sour. My recipes call for 244g to almost 300g of sour plus a soaker made from rye. I have several recipes all using this type of combination. A NY Rye, Old Milwaukee, Black Russian, I believe a Volkornbrot and MY FAVORITE CREATION for Alabama Sour Rye.

Glad to share anything you might like but find posting recipes here using markup can be challenging sometimes. I have a Telegram channel for recipes and chat on bread baking and if you are interested I can send you the links.

Again the 100% rye sour can be challenging because of the consistency. I always am trying new things to make it easier on my 2 daughters who are now into sourdough. I hope this helps and my username on Telegram is @DLMc93

Here is a snapshot of my Alabama Sour Rye .

1 Like

I also use whole grain in the sour (and most of my bread. House temp here is 72F so just would take longer. My first ones I let go overnight now the refresh sours take 8 to 12 hours.