Einkorn and Amaranth Sourdough Bread Revisited

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

Another great recipe, Melissa! I am going to get amaranth and bake it as soon as possible. I will post a picture afterwards. Great job!

I can practically smell the fragrance of this bread; so excited to try it. Which version (with porridge or without) do you recommend trying first for an advanced beginner? (I don’t quite know how to describe myself. I have been baking with sourdough for several years. I am familiar with the coil and lamination techniques, and just got my milling attachment for Xmas!)

@rockspider Thanks. I can’t wait to see your loaf and hear your thoughts on the recipe and flavors.

@bonnieauslander Congrats on the new milling attachment. My advice for which recipe to try first depends on your preferences and strengths.

The porridge version is a little more time-consuming because you have to make the porridge and add it during the second stretch and fold. That’s not advanced versus beginner, though, just longer process.

It’s the hydration of the porridge recipe that can make it a little tricky if you’re not comfortable shaping and transferring wet-floppy dough. Of course, you can drop the water content of the recipe by about 20g if you’re wanting easier dough handling with the porridge version.

…long way of saying that this revisited recipe is probably easier : )

1 Like

I note that a baking sheet is added beneath a cast iron cooking vessel; does this help reduce the typical over-darkening of the bottom crust on the bread, or is there some other purpose?

Another super helpful post Melissa. I bought some Einkorn berries awhile back but haven’t baked with Einkorn yet; this sounds like the perfect recipe to try them with.

@nancy Exactly, the baking sheet is to reduce the browning of the bottom of the bread.

@susanmcc99 Thanks! I hope you enjoy experimenting with your einkorn berries.

Due to the nature of Einkorn you will go through a bit of a learning curve to get used to this very tasty but unique grain. You can still appreciate it’s flavour by swapping out wholegrain wheat with wholegrain Einkorn in recipes that have 10-20% wholegrain. You can also try a basic Tartine country loaf using Einkorn with minimal or no changes other than swapping out the wholewheat. Makes a very tasty loaf. If I remember correctly it’s…

• 500g flour (450g bread flour + 50g wholewheat)
  • 350g water + 25g (for when you add the salt but only if the dough needs it I find)
  • 10g salt
  • 100g mature leaven (50:50 bread flour and wholewheat flour)

Combine the water, leaven, flours + 350g water and autolyse for about 30 minutes.

Sprinkle the salt over the dough followed by the remaining 25g water then squeeze and fold the dough till fully distributed and the dough comes together again.

Rest for 30 minutes then give the dough a set of stretch folds every 30 minutes till you’ve completed 4 sets in total then rest till the dough is ready.

Pre-shape and bench rest for 30 minutes.

Shape into banneton and final proof till ready (or refrigerate overnight).

Bake in preheated oven.

Abe - thanks for this recipe and your comments about Einkorn. I will definitely give this one a try.

As promised, here is my loaf. The crumb is very nice and the flavour is delicious. The amaranth flavour really comes through. I don’t think it is going to last very long in my house. I can’t wait for your next creation. :grin:

1 Like

I’m so glad you enjoy the flavor. What a nice crumb too!

I’m working on a few new things :slight_smile: spelt…using vegan stuff to enrich dough… flaxseed meal…

Delicious loaf! I made this yesterday, used my Mockmill (thanks, Breadtopia) to grind amaranth (a miracle that I had that on hand) and einkhorn, and I followed your instructions, including time in the freezer after the last rise. It had just enough oven spring for a nice crumb. I’m thrilled and will make it again.

1 Like