Ears on my NK Sourdough Boule

My second part-whole wheat sourdough NK loaf. When mixing the dough I forgot to use bread flour, and used AP instead along with whole wheat. It doesn’t appear to have hurt the rise at all. I used a different score this time – sort of a tic tac toe – check out those ears! :smiley:

Check out the nice crumb (dough was pretty wet):

1 Like

Gorgeous bread! The other day I made Eric’s sourdough cranberry pecan bread using AP flour instead of bread flour. The only reason I tried that was because in the written recipe it actually says AP flour OR bread flour! I wanted to give it a try to see if there was any discernable difference to the finished bread. Also, IF I was running low on bread flour and still wanted to bake bread having a recipe that actually gave the option to use AP instead, in my opinion, was awesome. The oven spring and rise was good. There may be the smallest “difference” in the crumb/texture of the finished bread but it’s so small, in my opinion, I’m not even sure I can discern the difference. However, now that I’ve tried it I do think my general preference is to use bread flour in my NK sourdough breads. But having the option, at least in that recipe, is great.

Leah

Leah

1 Like

Thank you Leah! Like you I was pleasantly surprised the AP flour worked fine. This loaf w/ the AP flour actually turned out a bit better than my first loaf, at least visually. But both were/are delicious. I have not yet made any of the recipes with stuff (cherries, nuts, chocolate, etc.) in them, but plan to make a few loaves to have ready for Christmas.

Eric’s cranberry pecan bread is one of my FAVORITES! I think the first time I made it was mid-September or early October and I remember telling my husband, my sweet Stanley, that particular recipe was definitely an Autumn/Winter favorite. Now that I’ve continued to bake loaves of it, it’s a recipe I’ll be using all year long, whenever the mood strikes me. BTW, I’ve even used a combination of 6 ounces of orange juice and 6 ounces of water in the recipe instead of all 12 ounces of water. It makes a cranberry orange pecan bread!

Enjoy your bread journey. Mine began this year and I’ve never looked back!

Leah

1 Like