Durum Herb Cheese Sourdough Bread

James,

The salt can be added to the dough or the saute. Makes no difference and needs no additional. Sorry for the confusion!

-Melissa

I finally had the opportunity to make this bread. When I saw the post I was intrigued at the idea of using durum wheat in a bread, silly me thought it was just for pasta! A plan was strategically made to await my July harvest of garlic and use fresh oregano and basil from my garden. The garlic was very fresh and spicy, I only used to cloves so as to not over power the bread. The provolone I used was a smoked apple wood provolone. I have to say, this is a great recipe! Not sure if I should have waited to make it, but I’m glad I did make it. I use a Cuisinart steam oven to bake my bread, the crust was crusty but not overly crusty.

We really enjoying this bread, possibly using a different cheese.

I’m getting hungry just reading your description of the fresh garlic and apple wood smoked provolone!

Thanks for sharing the pics and your experience with the recipe. Have fun playing around with different ingredients.

I’m using pandemic time to try new breads. This durum herb cheese bread is delicious!

@shamby Looks delicious!
Blessings,
Leah

Well done! Glad you enjoyed the recipe.

I make this bread with Rouge de Bordeaux instead of bread flour. Fresh grind both types of berries. This last time I made a double recipe. Half were for two small loaves, other half made into elongated rolls (baked in half-sized baking dish). Half of each of these I spread out the dough and rolled in a bag of sun-dried tomatoes (Trader Joe’s so you can see size of bag). Delicious!

Sun dried tomatoes sound like a delicious addition, and what a lovely crumb with the rouge de bordeaux wheat!

Thank you, Melissa! The other thing I have done in the past with this bread is make croutons out of them for tomato soup. AND a plus is my 13 month old grandson, who will hardly eat anything, LOVES these croutons! Win!