Double Olive Walnut Herbes de Provence Sourdough

This is an adaptation of a Tartine recipe with one of Maurizio’s and using generally the methods of FullProofBaking. I attempted to score a leaf on the dough but was hilariously unsuccessful in my attempt. It just looks like random scores on one side.

Levain build 1:2:2

20 g mature starter

20 g bread flour

20 g whole wheat flour

40 g water

311 g white bread flour. 74% including levain

46 g whole wheat flour. 21% including levain

21 g dark rye flour. 5%

287 g warm water 74% hydration

7.5 g salt

77 g levain

2 g diastatic malt powder 0.5%

Total flour without levain 378 g

1 ⅛ cups pitted olives (Kalamata and green)

¾ cups walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped

¾ teaspoon dried herbes de Provence

Zest from 40% of a lemon

In a bowl stir together the olives, nuts, herbes de Provence and lemon zest

1. Liquid Levain (0:00) — I build mine at around 1:2:2 and let it sit at about 80°F until it more than triples in volume and “peaks”. For my starter, this takes approximately 5-6 hours.

Flour for my starter feeds is composed of a mix of 10% rye, 90% bread flour

1. Autolyse (+3:00) — This is a pre-soak of the flour and water. If concerned about the hydration hold back some of the water. You can add it back later, if necessary. Leave the autolyse for anywhere from 2-4 hours (I prefer 3 hours) while the levain finishes fermenting.

2. Add Levain (+6:00) — Spread on top of dough and work in using your hands. This is a good time to evaluate the feel (hydration) of the dough.

3. Add Salt (+6:30) — Place salt on top of dough and work in with hands. Dough will start to strengthen.

4. Light Fold (+7:00) — With dough on a slightly wet bench do a Letter Fold from both ways. NOTE: If baking more than one loaf, divide the dough before folding.

5. Lamination (+7:30) — Place dough on wet counter and spread out into a large rectangle. Add the mixed olives, walnuts, herbes de Provence and lemon zest spreading on top. Do a Letter Fold both ways.

6. Coil Fold (+8:15) — Do a Coil Fold inside the BF container.

7. Coil Fold (+9:00) — Do a Coil Fold inside the BF container.

8. Coil Fold (+9:15) — Do a =Coil Fold inside the BF container.

9. End of BF - Shaping (~11:30) — The duration of the BF is a judgement call. Shoot for 50-60% rise (assuming my fridge temp is set very low). Warmer fridge (above 39F) means your dough will continue to rise… so in this case, bulk to more like 40%. Divide and shape

10. Retard Overnight & Bake — Score cold and bake in a pre-heated 500F oven for 20 minutes with steam

11. Vent Oven 20 minutes into the bake — Vent oven and bake

1 Like

Looks amazing ! Would love to see the crumb. I printed it to try it myself soon.

Thanks for the effort to post this !

I will post a crumb shot once I cut it much later today or tomorrow. Hopefully I got the bulk fermentation OK. I’m a bit worried I over packed it with add ins, but we shall see, it sure smells good if you like olives.
Benny

I’m very pleased with how this turned out. Usually the first time I bake a new bread it isn’t great and I have to try several times to improve it, but I think this is good, what do you think? What could I improve upon? I’m always looking for ways to improve.

1 Like

!!!

I know you are not kidding, but “improve” ? I can’t even suggest ways to improve the quality of the photographs, let alone the bread !

Great, uniform crust - with an overdone bottom. Even distribution of olives and walnuts, with a crumb that has the perfect mix of medium air pockets and those large open spaces we are wish for when we make the first cut.

Now this is definitely going on my “must bake” list.

1 Like

That should have been “WITHOUT and overdone bottom”…sorry.

1 Like

I really do hope you bake this, it really is tasty and turned out better than I expected.

@Bentio…well I did it. For the most part, I followed your recipe to the letter, but ad libbed a bit where I was either unsure, or felt that the proofing needed a bit of a twist.

While you didn’t indicate, I chopped the olives…only about enough to roughly turn them into halves, but also reduced the quantity to only 1 cup. I added the malt to the flour before autolyse, not at the levain add step.

This was my very first “specialty” bread and I was more than a bit nervous about choosing a higher hydration recipe as well. This was also my first introduction to letter and coil folding. Frankly, the large olive pieces were a challenge to deal with in the folding, but other than having to pinch a few into the dough during the final shaping, it went well after all.

Years ago I was fortunate enough to buy a “store rerturn” Brod and Taylor proofing box, so I could easily manage the levain at 80, I dropped the temp to 75 for the BF (my usual temp for SD)

I come to find out that my fridge is on the warm side, so while I followed the fold and BF sequence to the letter, I nonetheless made a judgement call and let my boule set in its 9" banneton for 30 minutes after final shaping, and before it went into the fridge for the night. After the retard for 15 hrs, I baked in a Dutch Oven at 500, 20 mins covered, but it took another 27 uncovered to brown up and reach an internal temp of 207.

By in large I’m very pleased, but give it only an 8, as the crumb is a bit gummy and even with the olives, I think I would push the salt amount up a bit next time.

My wife, on the other hand, LOVES it and has demanded it stay on the house menu. The two of us can only eat so much bread (no matter how good) so a neighbor received the other half…MUCH to his delight. He’s happy with the salt level.

Thanks again Benny,

Steve

1 Like

Steve that looks awesome, nice photography by the way :grinning: Your crumb looks nice and open. It seems I missed a few details and you wisely cut the olives in half and added the diastatic malt during autolyse. Glad you both like the flavour. Perhaps it needed a bit longer in the oven after the lid was removed to fully bake and dry out the crumb. Great bake.
Benny