Do you have better way baking bread if theres no oven?

I want to started baking however since i am a person with no enough budget to buy an oven, what would you recommend as an alternative…Ive been thinking to buy oven toaster since they are procuding indirect heat.

In connection with this, maybe there are here use oven toaster as an alternative…and how was the result?

Ive been looking to an online shop for best deals in oven toaster in case i want to buy it once my question went well…

I suppose you have already thought of all these things, but, since you asked, here are some suggestions on how to bake bread without an oven.

Use a griddle! For most of human history bread has been made on griddles, hot stones, or in the ashes of fires; so there are really a lot of traditional breads to choose from. Start with the old American standby, the English Muffin! But then you can make Tortillas, Chapatis, Naan, Pita, the list is really endless.

If you have a fireplace, you can brush away the coals from an area where the fire has been, put down your bread dough and invert a dutch oven over the top, or even a flower pot. Then, cover the pot with some coals from the fire (you can do this with campfires, too). This technique takes some practice to get the temperature right; but Europeans used it, not only to bake bread but even cakes.

There are a million kinds of pancake. And don’t forget fried bread! Make a thin disk of bread dough and drop it into hot fat, just like a donut. It’s delicious!

But you can also make bread in a toaster oven. The only problem is that you can’t make a lot at one time and you can’t tackle recipes that ask you to bake in a Dutch oven at 475°. But you can make some pretty good bread, nevertheless.

Then there are are bread machines. These mix, knead, and bake the bread all in one machine. Sometimes you can get second-hand ones on Craigslist pretty cheap. It’s probably not exactly what you want, but it would at least allow you to make your own bread out of good ingredients. You can get some good results. (And, actually, I think bread machines do a much better job at kneading dough than KitchenAid mixers do.) If you are not living in the USA, this isn’t such a practical suggestion.

I have friends in Africa who have made bread using a homemade reflector oven. It consisted of a box that was lined with shiny aluminum foil. The heat from the sun was enough to bake bread, cook meat, etc. I think you can find plans online to make one (search for “solar oven”).

Finally, if you have any available space on which you can build, a homemade, wood fired bread oven is not expensive. All it takes is earth and some labor and you can make one. There’s a book called Build Your Own Earth Oven, by Kiko Denzer and Hannah Field. I haven’t done this, but if I ever live in a place where they’ll let me, I’m doing it!)

1 Like

I’ve used a Dutch Oven to bake rolls, cakes, and bread at many campfire overnights. The correct Dutch Oven has the flat top, the flat top is very important. Otherwise, the coals on top will slide off! A flat top is the right DO since you can mound hot coals on top to regulate temperature. The right DO also will have legs.` I have used briquettes, wood coals and even put the DO in the fireplace to bake. It will take a bit of experimenting to get the right combination of where to put the DO and how many hot coals to use. It does not take many coals on top of the DO to get a 350º effect within.

Here is what you are looking for a flat top, NOT a round top.
This unit will do everything. http://tinyurl.com/ho2xdkb. Note top and bottom!

Here are more photos along with needed tool. http://www.cowboyway.com/CampingDutchOvens.htm

It is critical to be able to have heat coming from the bottom as well as from the top of the Dutch Oven. Also purchase the tool that is used to remove and replace the DO’s lid. It will make your job much easier. Best of Luck…Have Fun!

1 Like

Here is a link to a larger version of Chuck’s Dutch oven http://a.co/cO9nfCF. His is a 4-quart model, this one holds 8-quarts.

We use the same method as Chuck when we go camping. Nothing like hot, fresh bread for dinner when outdoors. Fun to have the aroma drifting through the campsites too.