I’m trying to replicate the traditional Finnish Rye Sourdough Bread Ruisleipa. Which should come out looking very dark and artisan. I’m using my bread machine and the following recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups of dark Rye sourdough starter
- 2 cups stone ground dark rye flour (Bob’s Red Mill flour)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
Everything is brought up to room temperature. The bread machine is set on Basic and Dark crust.
It smells great, tastes awesome but is very light in color when it should be very dark.
So what am I missing?