Danish Rugbrød

Thanks Melissa! My bread turned out well, I’m happy with the crumb. I made a few changes to ingredients: whole wheat flour instead of spelt; cooked adzuki beans and freekeh for the grains; soymilk for the kefir and beer. I let it proof at room temperature for around 3 hours then moved it to the fridge overnight. It shrank in the fridge and dried out a bit (I did cover it with shower cap though), and didn’t expand more.

I think I may have underproofed it when I moved it to the fridge? Also, Still not good at judging when rye bread is ready for oven…
Decided to try baking it in cold oven; I thought maybe that would help with giving it a last boost but it didn’t seem to have an impact.
And I think I over baked; but it turned out ok :slight_smile:image image

Looks like good fermentation to me. I’m guessing the substitutions made for a dryer dough. Whole wheat flour, the different additions, and the different liquids could all play a role in that. If you looked at the pics in the gallery and felt the dough was a similar consistency, then it was something else, but either way, it looks delicious.

1 Like

Danish Rugbrød is a lovely bread. And very forgiving when making due to it being a pan loaf. It also continues to improve in both texture and flavour over a few days.

You’re right, probably all the substitutions led to a dryer loaf. Thank you for all the helpful advice

1 Like

Hello! I have finally got round to making this lovely loaf and it came out really tasty. The only small issue I have is that the sprouted whole rye berries that ended up in the crust really dried out and are impossible to chew, if anything, I risk breaking a tooth over them. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? Loaf doesn’t look overbaked. I made smaller loaves and baked them for just over an hour or so. Thanks!

That looks beautiful.

I found when I sprouted the berries myself, they were plump and chewable, but when I was re-hydrating already sprouted berries, it was hit or miss whether I got them soft enough. Maybe try soaking the sprouted rye berries for an extra day before mixing the dough – or alternately cracking/flaking them in some way. If you don’t own this flaker I’d try a food processor – I haven’t done this myself, so I’m making a guess with the food processor rec.

I sprouted the rye berries and after a couple of days stored them in the refrigerator before incorporating into the dough. I think the rye sprouts should have been dried a bit before adding to the dough because even after baking to the recommended internal temperature the bread was excessively moist. After 24 hours I sliced the bread and put the slices in a low oven to dry out before freezing. Thanks for any suggestions.

Interesting. Were your rye sprouts still immersed in water?

No they were drained and then refrigerated. I think I let the sprouts develop too long, perhaps by a day. Next time I’ll make sure they’re good and dry before mixing in. Also I’m going to add a quarter teaspoon of yeast as my sourdough starter didn’t seem to have enough energy. And I think I’ll also add a couple of teaspoons of gluten.

Apart from the whole “different flour brands have different absorbency” thing, the only other hydration variables I can think of are the buttermilk vs. kefir, with the latter being thicker, and chia seeds – if you used something else instead of them, you’d lose a seed that sucks up a fair amount of liquid.

Good luck with your next bake. (I bet toasting the slices thin makes amazing crackers.)

can anyone suggest where can i fine narrow loaf pans to bake this kind of bread.

I sometimes add about 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots. Adds a touch of sweetness!

These are often baked in pullman loafpans. They come in box shapes, to tall and wide to long and narrow. I’m sure you’ll find what you’re looking for.

Thank you Abe. Acutely i have a pullman loaf 13"X4" too long. I’m looking for a smaller size for the recipes i have. I’m checking online.

I just made this for the first time and made one substitution: date syrup instead of maple or honey. I love the contrast between robust crust and moist interior. (I waited 48 hrs to slice into it.) And I love the seed assortment. The only thing I would tweak next time is the salt, as the bread unadorned tasted a bit flat to me. I thought a 9”x5” loaf pan was perfect. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Good job being patient in waiting to slice into the bread :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing the salt tip too!

I was once in a baking class, and the chef mentioned that the danish Rugbrod should be stored sliced, wrapped at fridge not frozen.
Any one heard about the correct menthol for storing this kind of bread. Please share with us your tips.

This looks interesting it sounds like a bread that can be add libbed. I recently made a sourdough stout bread that I think may convert nicely. I like the idea of using yogurt in a bread and I’ve been thinking about some kind of bread using sesame seeds. Need to look for some rye berries

Danish rye is often made with beer…

I see. A lot of variations. Im wondering about the yogurt culture competing with the sourdough yeast. And what about using some good belly in a recipe :thinking: