Crusty Sourdough No-Knead Dinner Rolls/No Added Yeast

IMG_0899
Being relatively new to sourdough baking I have not developed any of my own recipes. I must attribute this recipe to holycowvegan.net I have made these rolls on three different occasions and the results are consistent and delicious!

INGREDIENTS:
3 1/2 CUPS BREAD FLOUR
1 1/4 CUPS WARM WATER
1/2 TSP SALT
3/4 CUP FED SOURDOUGH STARTER (Mine is 100% hydration)

INSTRUCTIONS:
PLACE ALL THE INGREDIENTS IN A LARGE BOWL OR IN THE BOWL OF YOUR STAND MIXER. MIX UNTIL A CONSISTENT DOUGH FORMS.
COVER WITH CLING WRAP AND LET STAND OVERNIGHT ON YOUR COUNTER TOP IF WARM ENOUGH OR IN A COLD OVEN WITH THE LIGHT ON.
IN THE MORNING PUNCH DOWN YOUR DOUGH AND SHAPE INTO 12 EQUAL SIZED BALLS. I USED MY DIGITAL SCALE FOR THIS. (Don’t mock me, I’m an engineer and can’t help myself.) FLOUR YOUR HANDS IF THE DOUGH IS TOO STICKY. EVENLY ARRANGE THEM ON A PARCHMENT LINED HALF SHEET PAN, SPRINKLE ROLLS WITH FLOUR, COVER WITH A TOWEL AND LET RISE FOR 2 HOURS.
PRE-HEAT YOUR OVEN TO 425°
WHEN THE ROLLS HAVE RISEN, SCORE EACH ROLL AND BAKE FOR 25-28 MINUTES OR UNTIL LIGHT GOLDEN BROWN. COOL ON A RACK AND THEN ENJOY!

1 Like

WOW! Those look great and the recipe seems to be an easy one. I just may have to give these a try sometime. So far, all I’ve baked is no-knead sourdough bread in my clay baker. I haven’t tried rolls yet.

Leah

I’m new to Sourdough lingo…?? 100% hydration

Can you explain?

100% hydration means feeding your starter by weight with equal amounts of water, flour and starter.
Good explanations can be found here:
https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/sourdough/hydration-sourdough-starter/

I’m a novice myself. I just fed the starter i was given. I had 25g of starter, and I fed it via a 1:3:3 method. I added 75g of water, and 75g of AP Flour. Is that 100% hydration still? According to the link provided, it seems you are supposed to account for your starter as part of the flour weight, indicating that i should have only fed my 25g starter 50g of AP Flour, and 75g of water to have a 100% hydrated starter. I think I’m confused and would appreciate any clarity. Thanks.

To achieve 100% hydration you would add 25g of water and 25g of flour to your 25 g of starter.

Hi, if I freeze the dough balls before the second rise, can I let them defrost on my counter overnight and put them in the oven in the morning?