Collapsed bread machine sourdough

I’ve always used a consistent 8 ounces (weighed of course) of my started…it’ll vary from thick to thin…and again if you follow the first part of mixing those 4 ingredients and letting them sit for 10 minutes before adding flour, salt, and oil…you’ll be good!

If not - I’m coming over to your house to make it!

Oops! Autocorrect my starter to STARTED

And THAT is a beautiful loaf!

You’re on Rayee8. One cup or 8 oz of starter equals 225 grams. Do I add yeast or not? Do I let it proof overnight in the refrigerator or just wait for 10 minutes? Then I add the correct weights of all the other ingredients and turn on the basic bake cycle. And if that doesn’t work the bread machine goes into Puget Sound and you come to my house and bake.

Ha ha ha ha!

Oh yes! I go by the ounces for my starter for some odd reason…

Yes - just like the recipe states…NO fermentation - but you must temp your water to 110 degrees…

Then take those first 4 ingredients - stir gently - wait - then proceed.

Next post will be your beautifully risen loaf - I promise!

And wait 10 minutes (gets bubbly) - it’s the kick off…

OK Raydee8. I followed your recipe gram for gram and got what I consider a half rise, or three-quarter rise, sourdough compared to my French bread. Edible yes but still too dense with the consistency of half a brick. The starter was fed for a week and was nice and bubbly and sour, prhaps a little more liquid than spongy but not overly so. What else am I doing wrong?

Hmmmmm…110 degree water to dissolve yeast in…along with the 1 tablespoon of both sugar and active dry yeast? And the sourdough starter…gently stir all of the above - and wait 10 minutes (or more?) for mixture to get bubbly??

Didn’t use sugar. Can’t recall why but someone else on this forum said not to use sugar in sourdough. Otherwise everything else as you said.

Then? As before…I’ll have to come over!

I just fed my “baby” last night…I’ll make it today and post a picture??

Here’s the mixture of the first 4 ingredients doing the 10-minute rest and bubble

And then…flour, salt, and oil sprinkled on top of liquids…NO mixing in

Sure looks pretty much like mine, maybe even a little gloopier than mine in the 10-minute rest cycle. Wondering how runny or how dry your starter is to begin with, also whether it wasn’t such a good idea to leave out the sugar. I don’t know what sugar does rise-wise, if anything.

If your bread is over proofing then why not lower the starter % and/or choose a shorter cycle?

The sugar is just food for the dry yeast…my starter is at 100% hydration…here’s the loaf baked…not the best - but risen and nice

Very, very nice. Sure looks lighter than mine with correct rise. I guess I’ll tinker with my starter hydration as Abe suggests. Can’t really adjust the bread machine for a shorter cycle since the 4-hour basic bake is the shortest there is, with “medium” crust and “large” loaf settings.

Raydee8. Just to let you know that I have finally achieved a modest success with bread machine sourdough, thanks to you and others on this forum. My latest effort came out with a good rise, quite light and airy, with 100% starter hydration and using the sugar included in the recipe. I’ll continue to experiment with some different starters made with rye, ap flour, etc with different hydration. The one I used by the way, was made with an all-grain flour which was all I could find in the virus-denuded shelves of my grocery store. Final question: besides the basic bake cycle in your Panasonic bread maker, what settings do you use for loaf size (XL, L or M) and crust (dark, medium or light)?

1 Like

Well that’s a big step in the right direction. Risen well and has a nice dark crust, on the sides at least. Keep up with the small tweaks here and there till you get the perfect recipe for your starter and machine.

Would love to see a crumb shot and hear a taste report.

Taste more sour than store-bought, akin to San Francisco Sourdough, now in even greater demand that part of Fisherman’s Wharf burned down. Not sure what you mean by a crumb shot but here’s a pic of the innards. I’ll fiddle with a little less starter hydration and maybe opt for a darker crust setting next time around, but this loaf made a superb prosciutto/brie/cornichons sandwich.

1 Like

…and there’s the crumb shot :slight_smile:

Looks great and from the sound of things tastes great too! I think you’ve gotten it practically perfect. If you like it then why change it?

I wonder why its dark on the sides but light on top? Question is, if you chose a darker setting for the top then how would the sides turn out?