Cinnamon toxins? LOL

This recipe showed up in my Pinterest feed: http://www.bysachse.dk/kanelgifler/. The final product looks unbelievable! But Google translate had a few issues :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: So my questions are: 1. Does anyone know what we’d call these in English? 2. re the ingredients - should “dl” be “ml” and is “brown brownie” really “brown sugar?” and 3. I’m a little confused about the instructions pertaining to the fork - does anyone want to take a stab at explaining that part of the instructions? (and maybe I should have started this post by asking: Does anyone speak Danish?!)
Thanks!

1 Like

Lol they do look lovely but why does my translate call them toxins and poison!?

dl normally stands for decilitres? Might be a good idea to ask google the difference.

The closest thing I can of is Rogelech but instead of chocolate its cinnamon and cardamom.

1 Like

@anon44372566 - mine translates to “toxins” and “poisons” as well, hence why I was hoping to find someone who could set the record straight! Sure gave me a good laugh.

Good call on deciliter - I will definitely look into that because that could make quite a difference!

Messy kanelgifler with cinnamon filling

I LOVE kanelgifler, especially those from PĂ„gen, I do not know what is with them but they are just as good! I think therefore that one then, could make them feat! It therefore resulted in these messy kanelgifler with the most delicious cinnamon filling. I knew quietly reveal that it may well turn out to be a dangerous acquaintance. I know some might sound silly with organic yeast and flour, but do yourself a favor to try it - it will not fortyde, the taste is just a whole other. For those of you who want to also make a game of such kanelgifler comes recipe here.

Recipe - 15 pieces

Ingredients

Dough

• 2,5 dl milk [250 ml]
  • 20g organic yeast [I think this is fresh yeast. Seems too much for dried yeast. If you do use dried I’d go for 7g or one packet of instant yeast]
  • 450-500g organic wheat flour
  • 60g sugar
  • 1 teaspoon fine salt
  • 60g butter
  • 1 tsp cardamom
  • 1 egg for brushing

Filling

• 100g sugar
  • 50g brown sugar
  • 100g butter
  • 10g cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt

process

Getting warm milk and yeast in a bowl and mix well together
Put flour, sugar, salt and cardamom and stir it well together in eg a mixer.
The dough should be kneaded at low speed until smooth and supple - ca. 5 min
Getting the butter and knead another 5 minutes to all the butter is kneaded into the dough and leave to rise about 1 hour on the kitchen table.

Meantime prepare filled by whipping all ingredients together with a hand mixer.
Put the dough on a floured surface and roll it into a rectangle of approximately 30 × 70 cm. Spread the filling on the dough with a blade.
Divide the dough into two longitudinally (2 pieces of 15 × 70 cm) without cutting completely through so that they still hangs together easily.
On the long side closest to you, press with a fork all the way across and brushes with water so that it can bind.

my interpretation: roll out the dough into a rectangle of 30 by 70 cm. Long side closest to you. So the rectangle is going from left to right not up and down. Spread out the filling evenly with a knife. Do not cut the dough but make an indent dividing the rectangle into two lengthways. The side closest to you make a mark along the length by pressing down with a fork (like crimping pastry) and brush with water. Then, starting with the length furthest away from you, fold the dough over by 1/4, in other words to that line you made in the rectangle. Then again (3/4) and once more until its completely rolled. Then with the fork again seal the dough when you reach the fork indentations you made already. Turn the dough so it lies on the closure and cut 15 equal pieces. Let the rise etc

Now giflerne folded

Fold from the half furthest away 1/4 of the batter into the remaining dough, repeat this two times and close giflen of that small piece of pressing with fork and brushed with water.
Then turn the long sausage on so that it lies on the closure.
Cut 15 equal gifler and place them on a baking sheet, let them rise in a warm about 1 hour swabbing giflerne with egg and bake about 12-14 minutes at 200 degrees. Baking time depends strongly on the oven so watch out for them on the way Server giflerne capricious

Have fun :slightly_smiling_face:

Far from perfect I know. But I think you can make out the recipe from this. Some words haven’t translated well. The recipe itself is quite clear but the process may need some of your own interpretation. I’m sure whatever the outcome it’ll be delicious.

I think all this talk of toxins and poisons is google translate messing up “naughty but nice”.

1 Like

I looked at the link and noticed a place at the bottom for comments. Many Danes speak fluent English, so it might be worth asking for a translation.

1 Like

Thanks @anon44372566! I appreciate you providing your translation of the folding process - what you’ve explained makes sense in my mind. And I particularly like your guess at the translation of toxins and poisons :slight_smile:

1 Like

that’s a good idea @wendyk320!

Good luck! They look absolutely delicious!

1 Like

I made a variation of these today. Used whole spelt for the flour, cinnamon instead of cardamom, yeast water instead of bakers yeast and coconut oil. For the filling I just spread some unsweetened tahini, 100% sesame.

The dough is sweet enough that I didn’t have to add extra sugar in the filling and saved on using even more fat.

Came out absolutely lovely. Sweet spelt cinnamon dough with tahini really compliments each other.

1 Like

Oooh! That sounds awesome Abe! Interesting idea for the flavors.

Thanks Audrey. When it bakes the tahini turns into a lovely halva type filling accompanied by a sweet cinnamon bun. Was messy when trying to roll it up but it baked very well and came out neat.

1 Like

1 Like

“Dl” the abbreviation for deciliter. All the recipes my mother brought with her from Norway used dl. The recipe you are interested in seems similar to the dough I make for “skillingboller” - cinnamon type rolls my grandmother used to make - always with cardamom in the dough - but far less sweet than the American versions (which to this day I can’t eat because they are too sweet for me).

I won’t translate the recipe for you as I think someone has already done that. :slight_smile:

Good luck and enjoy!

1 Like

“brun farin” is brown sugar.

1 Like

2.5 deciliters is 1/4 liter or 1 cup. That seems about right for the recipe.

Also, the Danes have far more wonderful pastries than almost anywhere else I can think of. So, we would be unlikely to have an English name for that precise recipe. It is a variation on a cinnamon roll.

Finally, it should be “kanal gifler”, which translates to “cinnamon toasts.” The whole name is approximately, “messy cinnamon toasts with cinnamon filling.” Aka, cinnamon rolls or cinnamon buns, more or less.

1 Like

In 1987 I spent some time in Denmark. My Danish is a little rusty, but try this:

Snaskede kanelgifler med kanelfyld

[Messy Cinnamon buns with Cinnamon Filling]

Dough

2 1/2 dl milk (deciliter = 1/10 liter, 0.25 liters, approximately 1 cup)

20g organic yeast (I didn’t know yeast came “organic.”)

450-500 g organic wheat flour

60 g sugar

1 teaspoon salt

60g butter

1 teaspoon cardamom

1 egg lightly beaten for brushing on top

Filling

100g sugar

50g brown sugar

100g butter

10g cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon fine salt

• Put warm milk and yeast in a bowl and mix well
  • Add flour, sugar, salt and cardamom and mix well together in a stirrer, for example. The dough must be kneaded at low speed until it is smooth and supple - approx. 5 min
  • Wok the butter in and knead another 5 min until all the butter is kneaded into the dough
  • Allow the dough to rise approx. 1 hour on the kitchen table
  • Meanwhile, make the filling by whipping all the ingredients together with a hand mixer
  • Pour the dough out onto a floured table and roll it to a rectangle of approximately 30 × 70 cm
  • Spread the filling on the dough with a knife
  • Divide the dough in half lengthwise (2 pieces of 15 × 70 cm) without cutting all the way through so that they are still slightly connected. On the long side closest to you, prick with a fork all the way through and brush with water so it can bond.
  • Now the strands have to be folded. Fold them so that the half of the dough farthest away [covers] the dough the remaining dough, repeat this 2 times and close off the fork with the small piece you pressed with the fork and brush with water.
  • Then turn the long sausage over so it is on the seam. Cut 15 equal pieces [equally big pieces] and place them on a baking sheet
  • Let them raise snugly [in a warm place] approx. 1 hour
  • Brush the pieces with eggs and behind them approx. 12-14 min at 200 degrees [400° F.]. The baking time depends a lot on the oven so keep an eye on them as they bake
  • Serve the buns warm.

Really delightful