Chia and Pumpkin Seed Sourdough Bread

Could I substitute whole wheat kamut flour for the red fife?

Sure, kamut flour will work well, maybe a little thirstier and little less gluten strength.
Here’s a guide to flour and wheat varieties you may have already seen, but if not:

Clunky website, not easy to maneuver. however LOVE BREADTOPIA. best recipes and great customer support. For me best place to find vegan sourdough recipes!!

1 Like

My husbands favorite bread. Turns out perfectly every time. Thank you!!!

That’s great to hear :blush: I love how people have different favorites, from dark ryes to ciabattas.

Since Ive discovered this recipe almost a year ago. This is my husband and I favorite go to bread. I add Hemp seeds as well but other than that I follow the recipe to a T. Its so delicious and versatile. We use it for sandwiches, sweet and savory and also good for soup dipping. Our favorite bread on the breadtopia site. Thanks so much!!!

1 Like

You’re welcome! I’m glad you found the recipe and have made it your own. Hemp seeds sound tasty.

Hi Melissa! Can I make this with a levain instead of straight starter? I’d like to scale up and make a bunch of loaves; I could just make more starter, but thought it might work well to use levain instead. Would you suggest a 1:2:2 ratio of starter:water:bread flour, or something else? Thanks so much - keep the great recipes and information coming!

When you say levain, are you referring to a more liquid starter?

If so, I would adjust (subtract from) the water amount in the recipe based on how much extra water you’re putting into the levain. After doing that, scale up for however many loaves you want.

No, I just mean instead of using 100g of starter, could I mix something like 20g starter with 40g water and 40g flour, let that sit for 3-4 hours, then proceed with the rest of the recipe, using that as my starter instead of the 100g called for in the recipe?

Yes, that is perfectly fine and more or less what I mean when I say 100g sourdough starter: Build 100g ripe sourdough starter however you prefer. But also you can use not just-ripe starter if you’re willing to wait longer on the dough.

Some people might take their “fed yesterday” starter out of the refrigerator and use it. Other people will build up their starter/levain overnight. And some people will use even older starter and have a much longer bulk fermentation.

I realize a lot of sourdough recipes distinguish between starter and levain, but I’ve mostly stopped giving specific levain-build instructions because I’m convinced that there are so many effective ways to use sourdough leavening as long as you pay attention to the dough.

This probably goes without saying, but if you want to make, for example, three loaves of this bread, you should use 300g levain IF you want to keep the ratios-hydration and timing the same.
Or you can use just 100g levain for three loaves but then need to add 100g flour and 100g water to the mixing bowl to make up for using less levain, and expect a longer bulk.

Thanks so much. I bake a lot of sourdough, but usually just stick to the formula given. I haven’t done much experimenting, but it sure is fun to learn from other people’s successes! Usually, I use ripe starter straight out of the fridge for my regular house loaves, and it works brilliantly. Thanks for the great tips!

1 Like

This is my go to recipe for most of my breads.
Sometimes I leave out the chia seeds and use sunflower seeds instead. It always works out delightfully.

1 Like