Cherry Walnut Sourdough - An Experiment Gone Right!

(kd8cbv) #1

I love baking crusty loaves of sourdough bread in my cloche, but also thoroughly enjoy baking Pain de Mie in my 13 inch Pullman loaf pan. I usually do a hybrid sourdough/yeast dough for the Pullman pan. Lately, though, my wife and I have been hungry for something a little sweeter - a little more decadent. I didn’t have a “recipe”, but used my basic hybrid formula and modified it to make a dried fruit and nut bread. I was pretty sure the resulting loaf would at least be edible, but I was amazed at just how “edible” it really was! I would be happy to post the “recipe” if anyone is interested! The crumb is soft and moist, although it was still pretty warm when I cut it.

(susanmcc99) #2

Sounds fabulous, and yes, post the recipe!

(kd8cbv) #3

Dry Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur White Whole Wheat)
2 cups Bread Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast (I used SAF)

Wet Ingredients
1 cup sourdough starter (mine is high hydration)
1/3 cup Molasses (I used a mixture of molasses and Golden Syrup)
Bottled water - start with 1 cup

Additions
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or your nut of choice)
1/2 cup dried cherries (or other dried fruit)

Directions
Whisk together the dry ingredients in the bowl of your stand mixer. Stir the wet ingredients together, starting with only 1 cup of water. Add the wet ingredient mixture to the dry. Knead with your mixer’s dough hook for at least 12 - 15 minutes, adding water until you reach the desired consistency of your dough. Add the nuts and fruit the last 2 or 3 minutes of mixing. This can all be done, of course, without a mixer. Just knead by hand.

Cover and let rise until doubled in size. My kitchen was a little cool with the current sub-zero weather, so it took about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead just enough to redistribute the nuts and dried fruit. Form into a loaf for a 13 inch Pullman pan. Place in pan, cover and let rise until it reaches within 1/2 inch of the top of the pan. Mine took 35 minutes.

Install the cover on the Pullman pan and bake on the center rack of a preheated 350F oven for 35 minutes. Then remove the cover and bake at least 15 minutes more until the internal temperature of the loaf is 204F or higher. Remove from the pan and place on a cooling rack.

You could, of course, make this into 2 smaller loaves and bake in regular loaf pans, or shape it as desired and bake in a cloche, dutch oven, or even on a sheet pan, etc. You should be able to adjust the level of sweetener.

Enjoy!