Campfire Bread

This is the comment thread for the Breadtopia blog post originally published here:

To leave a comment, click the Reply button below

If you do not see the “Reply” button, you will need to log in or register an account. Please click the blue “Log In” button in the upper right of the page. :arrow_upper_right:

1 Like

I had to laugh when your fire wasn’t nearly hot enough! I’ve BEEN THERE! Before I did bread, I cooked other items such as green beans! I should have just read online for guides! But Oh no not me… I use the DO with legs as for me it was easier but yours should work quite well…You need to add fresh charcoal to the burning ones to keep that fire going…AND the most important thing is that about 2/3 of your charcoals should be on top! This type of cooking happens from the top down. It’s rather opposite of our home ovens…Also there are other charcoals that work much better! Get a bag of the long cooking charcoals and save for just bread…I find the wood embers seem to work better for breads. They last longer and cook hotter. Just keep adding more as needed especially to the top!

The main reason I like the DO with legs is their tops are flat and have an outside rim to catch ashes! You don’t drop charcoals in your pot nearly as often either! Ask me what biscuits taste like with the top charcoals mixed in! PS the DO with legs are a pain in home ovens those…Those legs are always stuck! I save mine just for camping!

1 Like