Bummer loaf

I often make the artisanal rye sourdough bread from the recipe on this site. Well yesterday I needed to feed the starter and did not want to throw away any so I put it in the bowl. I did not have time to measure/weigh stuff. So I literally dumped some white flower, some rye flower to fill the bowl approximately to the same level as usual, then just dumped random amount of salt and molasses there, and (what the hell it is going to suck anyway) dumped some leftover yogurt there (no idea how much) instead of water. Mixed it up and it was too wet. So I just threw some more rye flower to make it up as I was out of white. Left it overnight and it got big… then folded and let it go for 2 hours in the basket and baked. Result - fantastic amazing bread I have no chance of ever replicating. I did not even look at what I was doing yesterday… Typical.

Have you ever done this?

2 Likes

That is hilarious and yes, murphy’s law often rules in my baking, too. For me it’s when a loaf is destined to be a gift, it turns out worse than my usual results.

I bet you’ll be able to replicate it. Keep a notebook and pencil handy next time!

1 Like

I’m a big fan of no-recipe, intuitive cooking / baking.

Art is ephemeral.

2 Likes

Yep! My favorite recipes are: “Empty the flour bags bread” and “Refrigerator Soup” :slight_smile:

1 Like