Buckwheat Groats & Chia Bread Blender recipe

Whole-Grain Buckwheat & Chia Bread

Ingredients for Romertoph:
52g chia seeds 10%
270g water for chia seeds 52%
104g water for Durum wheat 52%
1 ¾ cup (320g) buckwheat groats, soaked in water for 2 hours, then drained and rinsed 62%
1 ¼ cup (200g) Whole Wheat Durum Flour 39%
21g flax seeds 4%
47g sunflower seeds 9%
73g olive oil 14%
52g Maple syrup 10%
11g instant yeast 2%
11g salt 2%

Modified Ingredients for 9x5 bread pan (20% less:
42g chia seeds 10%
216g water for chia seeds 52%
84g water for Durum wheat 52%
256g buckwheat groats, soaked in water for 2 hours, then drained and rinsed 62%
160g Whole Wheat Durum Flour 39%
17g flax seeds 4%
38g sunflower seeds 9%
58g olive oil 14%
42g Maple syrup 10%
9g instant yeast 2%
9g salt 2%

Instructions:
Whisk the chia seeds and water together in a bowl. Set aside to “gel” for about 20 minutes.
Place the chia seeds, buckwheat groats, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, olive oil, maple syrup and salt together in a food processor. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes until everything is well combined.
Pour into bowl add flour and the yeast then mix. Let rise.
Spoon the batter evenly into a parchment lined 8x4 loaf pan.
Preheat oven to 320F and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes until bread is firm to the touch.
Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan and then allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Notes:
Store in an air tight container in cooler for up to a week.
Recipe was modified to add the whole wheat flour and yeast to assist in rise.

Hello Dennis M - Have you had any experience with using any other kind of flour in this recipe as a substitute for the durum wheat? I want to try this recipe but only have spelt flour on hand. I also have red and white wheat berries that I could grind into flour but don’t know how that would work. Thank you for your reply when you can.

I used the Durum because I wanted to lighten up the crumb (color) as I only have Turkey Red on hand right now that I can use in the recipe. Have Einkorn, but not sure what that would turn our like.

I would think any berry that you have would be fine and if I had the hard white I would use that. I used the wheat to change the texture as typical Buckwheat is more a “quick bread, muffin texture” and to give it a little spring in the oven. If you use the white post a picture so we can see what it looks like. We ate our bread and banana bread so fast I never had a chance to take pictures. :smile:

Happy baking
Dennis