Bread temp after coming out of fridge is 53 degrees F

I made the dough 24 hours ago. If I put the bread back in the fridge or let it sit at room temp and slowly warm to 70-75 degrees for another 18 hours can I bake the bread tomorrow? So 48 hours of proofing. Or is that too long and the yeast will be dead?

I baked this over the weekend straight out of the refrigerator without any time to warm at all. Quick, simple and delicious.

IMG_2178 IMG_2176IMG_2182

1 Like

Nice looking bread

That looks awesome! I am using only starter for the yeast. It’s supposed to be a rye loaf and I followed the rye recipe from Breadtopia. Now that I have it set upstairs, the loafs are still wet. Wetter than loafs have been in the past. Would this indicate more proof time? I can’t get a tight skin on top because when I touch the dough it still sticks to my hands. I haven’t baked bread since last winter but I dont remember this being an issue in the past. Now they’ve been proofing for 48 hours at least and I haven’t put them in bannetons because they would for sure stick. Any ideas? Thank you!

Wet dough can proof faster actually. The skin or tautness comes from gluten development, which time does help, but only so far, and then time undoes the development.

This may all be stuff you know, but here goes :slight_smile: Gluten development comes from some combination or selection of kneading/folding, time (but not so much time that your yeast and bacteria run out of food and gluten breaks down) and flour type.

Rye is not a pro-gluten development flour. Mixed with other flours, you CAN get a bubbly and holey bread with elasticity. But my goal with high rye content breads is to get a spot-on fermentation and control stickiness through light hands, sometimes parchment paper, and almost always a cold final proof.

As for your current bread, if that 48 hrs is room temp, it’s very likely you’ve gone over and have more of a fragrant and flavorful giant rye starter. That’s all good though!

If it still has some tension, shape it into two loaves and bake it in greased or parchment lined loaf pans. If there is no tension and all stickiness, pour it into said pans. You’ll likely get an awesome bread.

Then, next time, add a bit more flour at the beginning to get a consistency you’re more comfortable with, and watch your fermentation thru the sides of a clear bowl. When you have aeration, preshape, rest, shape and
proof in a very prepared banneton (rice flour, bran flakes, parchment paper…I’ve even used plastic wrap) short if room temp, long if refrigerator.

Good luck!