Bread knife for Tartine bread

Hi All,
I need to buy a bread knife that will work on my Tartine crusty loafs of SD bread, any suggestions? Thanks!

1 Like

Lots of very serviceable bread knives out there. My one suggestion would be to get one with an offset handle.

The Breadtopia premium breadknife looks awesome but Is $100. The 9" F. Dick offset breadknife on Amazon is a more reasonable option at $50.

Your Tartine breads look lovely - definitely deserving of a good knife lol

I have these two – I bought myself the Breadtopia one when I got “into bread” and a relative gifted me the other at about the same time, having noticed I was “into bread.” The Breadtopia one is more attractive with the wood handle. Both are super at the task.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/victorinox-fibrox-pro-10-inch-bread-knife/?catalogId=69&sku=3135167&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Cutlery%20>%20Bread%20Knives&cm_ite=3135167&gclid=CjwKCAjwscDpBRBnEiwAnQ0HQE_5gXbebhCDzF7EATqZjikHg6zKGvBfOi4FI90l6M9MnEnpNlw97BoCvKkQAvD_BwE

Thank you so much for the information and the links!

Thank you so much for your suggestion!

Look on Bed Bath and Beyond. I found one that was 12 to 14 inches long and they gave me a $5 discount for my first online order and no shipping since I picked up in a store. Great knife, don’t pay $100 for a knife. With the discount I paid less than $20 including sales tax

An electric knife works fine and also scores loaves without tearing the dough

Thanks!

Good idea!

A rather fabulous bread knife is the Epicure by Wusthof. Best I’ve ever had or used. Pricey, to be sure, but dang, worth every expensive penny.

Cutco’s bread knife is great.

Thanks Jim!

Thanks Linda!

I bought a Mercer Culinary 10-inch M23210 Millenia Wide Wavy edge from Amazon at around $15, based on a recommendation from America’s Test Kitchen. I’ve accumulated 5 fairly pricey and solid-looking bread knives over the years, but they always created huge amounts of crumbs during slicing. The Mercer is by far the cleanest cutting knife I’ve ever used. It also works better at slicing other foods than most of my other kitchen knives. At this price you can buy two - one for bread, and the other for general kitchen slicing.

1 Like

I wouldn’t use a bread knife at all - for a similar price you can get a food slicer and do a better job.