Biology of Sourdough

I discovered the following article this morning and thought that others also might be interested in the information.

https://modernistcuisine.com/2018/09/sourdough-science/

1 Like

That was a very interesting article, @MTJohn! I’m no scientist and I consider myself to be a novice sourdough bread baker as I only began my bread journey earlier this year. I’ve been getting to know my sourdough, Cyril. I feed him the same flour I started him with when I got him. I give him pure spring water only when I feed him. I feed him once a week, using the same amount (by weight) of both flour and water because that seems to work for both him and me. Yes, that makes Cyril a bit more liquid than stiff, but I find him to be a happy “medium.” He lives in my refrigerator when not being used to bake which is why I can let him be and feed him only once a week, which I do on the weekend, anywhere from Friday through Sunday, depending on how many loaves of bread I may be baking that week. When I do feed him, I let him sit out on my counter to feed happily for anywhere from 7-12 hours depending on the temperature in my house. Now that it’s cooler he needs a little more time to feed and when using him to bake my dough needs more time to rise. I use a little sticky note on the outside of his jar to mark the level so I can gauge his progress as he feeds. As long as I see him gaining bubbles I know he’ll happily munch along until he’s thoroughly fed. I’ve had Cyril for about 10 months and his behavior has remained fairly consistent and he gives me lovely loaves of bread as long as I don’t inadvertently do something wrong to cause a bread-fail, LOL, which I have had happen but those stories are for another thread!

Leah

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Good information.