Bakers percentage

I apologize for the late response. The large pan is 3055 and the other is 2000 filled to the top . This was after setting pan on the scale then zeroing out and weighing .

Thank you Abe for your help.

Thanks, Abe. This is a great resource.

Hi paintersson! I hope you’ve made some progress in understanding bakers percentages.

So, I divided the weight of the water in the large pan (3055g) by the weight of the water in the small pan (2000g) and got 1.53. This means that the weight of each ingredient needs to be increased (multiplied) by 1.53. Here’s what I got:

New Recipe:
832g whole wheat flour
551g water
11g yeast
130g honey
66g butter
5g kosher salt

I hope all this makes sense and that the larger loaf turns out as good as what you’re used to!

I did that math as well. I am clearly further along thank I was. However bakers percentage has a learning curve for me. . I do know how to get my recipes scaled for v a different pan now. That is a big step. I appreciate the help Zane and you have given me.

Glad to help out.
If you have any questions about bakers percentages, let me know. I might be able to help. It really does come in handy.

1 Like

I seen that Abe. It frustrates me that I have such a hard time understanding bakers percentage. I did eat mark that for my future frustrations lol. I sure appreciate you man.

Will do Arlo thanks again for your help. I will be reaching out about bakers percentage in the future I am sure. Still studying and watching videos.

Bakers Percentages is easy. It becomes difficult though when thinking in volume. Which will resolve itself if you switch to weight, especially grams.

The four is always 100% and everything else is a percentage of the flour.

1 Like

Before I knew it mattered I have had a digital scale. I have always pretty much baked by weight. Grams for me a don’t have a need for pounds lol. I just never tried to figure out bakers percentage and thought her this will go hand in hand. That’s usually when trouble begins for me. I’m hard headed and persistent though. With fine folks like you people I will get out down and the good
Lord’s help.

Baker’s Precent. Here is how Bakers Percentage works.
Let’s say recipe is
Flour 100%
Water 70%
Salt 2%
Yeast 1%
Total 173%

You wish to make 2 kg of dough you divide 2 kg by 173% this will let you know how much flour you need. Once you know amount of flour you can calculate the remaining ingredients.

Flour 1,156g
Water 809g
Salt 23g
Yeast 12g
Total = 2,000 g (2 kg)

1 Like

Thank you for thinking about me. I definitely need the encouragement.

1 Like