Bagel texture problem

Hello everyone !

I am writting you because I am facing a probleme with my bagels. Indeed, when I do them, the texture isn’t smooth at all and I don’t understand why.

I have tried to change the % of water, it doesn’t change anything. I tried to knead them more, it didn’t changed anything.

Here is my recipes:

• Yeast : 7g
  • Sugar: 27g
  • Water: 254g
  • Flour: 438g
  • Salt: 6g
  • Bread improver: 0,5gr

Does anyone know what I can do/change ?

Thank you !

What kind of flour are you using and have you tried skipping the bread improver? That’s an ingredient I don’t know a lot about, but from what I read, it is intended to help in mass production and extremely quick processes – I’m thinking the enzymatic activity of your dough might be too high because of it, so the dough is breaking down quickly.

I use all purposed floor with high protein: 12g/100gr
I tried without bread improver and it doesn’t change anything…

Thank you !

12% protein is pretty high, though you could go higher with a bread flour, but I don’t think that explains the wrinkling regardless.

Are you letting the dough more than double before you shape it? Over-fermenting could be the issue.

How about the method for shaping?
I prefer to roll a tube and then overlap and roll the ends. It makes for a smooth bagel imo.
You can see the technique around the 10-minute mark in this video:

I tried to change bread flour and it changed a lot the texture of the bagel ! Way better !

Shapping method: I tried several one, and the rolling one is the best for making it smooth that’s right.

Thanks for the video !

1 Like

I found the issu ! I had to let them fermenting in the fridge during 24h, and they look perfect now !

1 Like