Artisan Sourdough Rye Bread

Did you do any of the long bulk in the refrigerator? If not, that might help with the handling. You can go several ways with refrigeration and as life sometimes gets in my way, I’ve found they all work!

My favorite method is to mix, leave at room temp for 2-4 hours with some stretch and folds in there somewhere. Then into the frig for overnight/ afternoon and overnight, let the dough warm a bit and shape. I usually put the shaped dough for this recipe on parchment and then into a large mixing bowl. Depending on my schedule I will let rise at room temp and bake or back in the frig for 6-8-10 hours and back direct from frig into hot oven/dutch oven.

Still, it is a wet dough and rye texture is a bit odd. I think many have added a bit more flour so you could try that also.

When I transfer my shaped dough to my dutch oven, I leave the dough on the parchment. You can’t do that with wax paper, but if are willing to switch to parchment, you don’t need to worry about sticking. The baked loaf does not stick to the parchment - at least in my experience. If you want to keep using wax paper, try rice flour or semolina flour … a coarse non white flour to prevent sticking.

1 Like

I’ve experienced the same thing with this dough. Since the dough in the Breadtopia video seems relatively docile, my guess is that the experience might differ based on the particular strand of rye being used (e.g. North American vs. European, etc.). Maybe some versions of rye are less absorbent than others?

Personally, I had better results when I reduced the water. Try lowering the water by 40–50g., and see whether that changes anything for you. If that still seems too wet, take off another 10–15g. This loaf is really a good one, so it’s worth figuring out how to make it more manageable.

2 Likes

thanks for thr tips…will try it next time…

Thanks for that advice…will try doing a lesser amount of H2O and sse if the bread feels any different, like my “normal” loaves feel.

I am also going to try using parchment paper and leave it in the paper to bake…

Again, thanks for the tip

It looks amazing, I am new to the site and have much to learn. Gazing through the blog at photographs is inspiring.

Delicious bread. I made this once before but gave it away as a gift, and never took a pic. This one came out beautifully. I used slightly less water than the recipe called for and slightly more flour: 380 grams water, 250 grams each of whole rye and white. The white included a bit of bread flour, but was mostly AP – I prefer the taste and consistency of AP to bread flour.

I made a “mistake” of sorts: I subbed barley malt syrup for molasses, and without thinking dumped in three Tbsp rather than two. But from perusing the interwebs it appears that that might have been the correct thing to do. I was worried the barley malt syrup would overwhelm the flavor, but it’s pretty subtle. I didn’t have anise seeds so put in about half a gram of ground-up star anise. I also did a few stretch and folds early in the bulk fermentation (overnight, about 14 hours). The dough was sticky, of course, but didn’t puddle too much after proofing, and I got great ovenspring. Very, very pleased – this one’s a keeper.

The first pic below is the rye on the left next to a sourdough lemon rosemary loaf I baked at the same time. That was a gift, so no photos of the crumb.

Regarding the starter in this recipe, how fresh does it need to be? Can a starter having sat in the fridge for a week following a feed be used ? Or will it have to be refreshed and allowed to ferment before adding to the recipe?
thanks

Unfed starter will most likely require much longer rising times. Unless you do this often and are familiar with how your starter performs under those conditions, I’d warm it up and feed it.

There are a few recipes for 100% Rye at theryebaker.com website. Plus if you have a translator loaded in your browser he has links to several European websites that have many free recipes.

So I would like to try this but have no spelt, can you successfully replace the spelt with a half and half mix of rye and whole wheat or rye and a like amount of white?

If you are referring to the Artisan Sourdough Rye recipe … there is no spelt in the recipe: rye and bread flour. If another recipe and spelt is a minor amount of total flour, a sub as you suggested or a straight sub of a whole wheat flour should work …. stick generally to total flour weight specified.

For this bread, you might read through all of the comments. Some found in their bakes that the dough was very wet and unmanageable for them. So I would suggest looking at responses as well as watching the video paying attention to dough look and feel vs exact amounts. I’ve made this recipe exactly … many times and had no issues but I’ve been using Breadtopia rye and WheatMontana White. The WheatMontana usually needs more water but for me, in this recipe it was perfect at the stated weight.

If I told you the process of how this was created, you’d be biting your nails. It was truly harrowing :wink:
But when I finally got it in the oven, I knew it would either be a disaster or the greatest bread I’ve ever baked. Hallelujah, it is the latter. Co-workers are raving and I’m beaming. Now, to recreate this without all of the drama… Thanks for the best rye bread recipe!

3 Likes

STOP, watch videos!! Little did I know stretch & fold isn’t really stretch and fold! Have made bread many times so I “knew” what the directions meant. I happily uncovered the dough after 12 hours and dove in to do traditional s&f. After waiting all those hours I just about cried when the dough virtually pulled apart in my hand. Figured it must be over proofed. I tried to save it. :laughing:. THEN. I watched the video after it was too late. My first result is unique. Will try recipe again and use the correct folding technique. Will also check it at 10 hours. Also realized I used rye starter. Not the best idea. Still believe traditional s&f isn’t right with this dough.

Before this recipe, my rye bread has always been lacking. This recipe produces one of the best rye breads I have ever had. The taste and texture are awesome. I made the first loaf so I could make ruebens from our St. Patrick’s Day corned beef. Then I made another corned beef just so I could have more corned beef sandwiches on this bread. So good!

I tried the recipe again. It’s encouraging that others love it but I’ve failed twice now and would really appreciate help. The tast is promising but results are wonky. After just 9 hours of proofing room temp (75°) the dough seemed close to over proofed. I managed to shape it as shown in the video. Within 30 minutes in banneton, it was above the rim and now had 40 more minutes for preheat. When I removed the lid at 30, the dough had collapsed by 1/3rd. I’ve been successful with non-Rye breads but any rye I’ve tried so far has done the same thing. Help please. What should I do differently?

1 Like

I believe you are correct that your dough was overproofed since it rose (over-rose) and then collapsed during the bake … no structure left.

Since you are working in very warm conditions, I would try maybe 1-2 hours at room temp, then into the refrigerator for 8-10-12 hours for the first rise (bulk fermentation). Then, let the dough warm up - not necessarily a lot, but enough to shape it. It will be easier to shape this dough if it is a bit cool. At this point, you could again refrigerate for 8-12 hours and bake right from cold, or if it works for your time schedule to keep an eye on it, let it rise at room temp, but get your oven preheating sooner. Now … since it is warm and you probably don’t want your oven on for longer than necessary, the cold final rise and bake from cold (bread is cold and goes directly into preheated vessel/oven) might be a better option.

I do the long cold rises most often as that seems to work best for my conditions. It takes some thinking about the time schedule and backing up 24-48 hours from when you want the bread. Plus with a rye, you typically don’t want to cut into it for 8-12 hours after the bake for best flavor and crumb.

The other thing … watch day 1 video again :slight_smile: … and go for the dough look and feel even if you need to add more flour. I’d add a bit more white flour if you think things are too wet. Also, notice that Eric stirs the dough 3 times at 15 minute intervals … akin to s&f. I do a modified s&f with slightly wet hands and a bowl scraper … very gentle, but enough to get the dough to be more like dough. Rye has a tendency to be like cement or thick mud! At any rate, go for the look and feel in the video with however it works for you.

1 Like

Thank you. May be a while before I can try again but will definitely try your suggestions. I bake my standard sourdough from fridge after long retread so I’m familiar with most of your suggestions. Will probably add some whit flour. Really like the taste of the bread.

First I’d like to thank both Eric for his web site then Melissa and he for their time making recipes and videos to help all of us get started on this venture. I have tried many of Breadtopia’s recipes some were good and some were a failure but in all it was and is a learning experience. Like many have said recipes are only a starting point. I have made Eric’s Artisan Rye and failed twice (starch attack only I did not realize what it was then) and then after some tweaking made a couple of successful loaves. One of my worst bakes involved bulking in my retarder. Zero rise and the dough spent 12 hours at 50F then 12 hrs at 60F and finally 12 hrs at 70F. HAD A BRICK! Since starting this I have probably made 50 loaves of rye using steps from different authors and am finally becoming “a little” more knowledgeable than I was some months ago when I started. I keep reading and finding out more on the subject and yesterday I revisited Eric’s recipe to do some comparisons and read through the comment section from beginning to end. I see that some folks have had good results with his recipe and some not so I thought I would share some info collected. Some of the issues I read in this forum relate to this information. By and large baking with rye reminds me of baking with Einkorn.

“Bran in rye bread actually lightens the dough (opposite of wheat) which is less dense than the “gels” that form in the rye dough. Whole rye turns out to be a better crumb.”

“Rye proteins are weaker than wheat and have a limited ability to form gluten. Rye breads DO NOT depend on gluten to hold them together. Rye contains carbohydrates called arabinoxylans which absorb water and turn into a viscous gel. It is this gel that can be wrecked by overworking or over kneading the dough.”

“Rye contains amylases that transform these carbohydrates into sugars “AKA starch attack”. Gluten in wheat is immune to this degradation. If a rye dough stands for too long at room temperature the amylase breaks down the starchy gels robbing them of their ability to trap gases. To make matters worse this amalase attack SPIKES during the first minutes of baking ending only when the dough reaches 175F. If left unimpeded this attack will turn rye doughs into dense, gummy loaf.”

“The solution to the biological drama is lactic acid producing bacteria or LAB. The affects of the LAB allow the rye doughs to hold their fermentation and baking gases as the amylase activity drops to almost zero. The pH of the dough plays an important part and without it you can have the starch attack.”

“Temperature is different meaning the yeast and LAB peak at 82F and 91F respectively giving an ideal dough temperature of 84F. Note that at typical home refrigerator temperatures both the yeast and LAB become dormant and will continue to die off at these temperatures.”

“Because of rye’s chemistry the vast majority of rye breads start with significant amounts of acidic LAB ingredients like honey, buttermilk, vinegar, yogurt or “wild yeast” culture.”

“Kneading or no kneading requirement: Generally over 50% rye = almost no knead, just return to original shape after bulk, minimal knead should produce structure. Over 60% rye knead not required nor is shaping.”

“A sour dough sponge that contains at least 30% of the total flour will eliminate the requirement of any additional commercial yeast and will produce a well developed crumb with complex flavor.”

“A sour dough culture kept in the refrigerator and fed every few days then refreshed within 36 hours of their last feeding will make good sour dough bread but it will be LAB dominant. IT MAY leaven the bread dough but then IT MAY NOT. It all depends. I have had it work and then it didn’t so what do you do? The only way around this is to use a small amount of commercial yeast in the final dough. This practice is not uncommon and does guarantee the dough will rise if you get the proofing right. Of course you could keep your starter on the counter at room temperature, refresh twice a day and eat lots of sourdough pancakes and Naan, you then can feel assured your starter will leaven the dough.”

“As rye dough is not wheat dough the parameters around proofing are noticeably different. Rye ferments quickly and the dough in itself is unstable. Bulk proofing with a large sour dough culture (LAB dominate) component are somewhat time tolerant with an average time of 1 hour or longer at 72-82F. There are some doughs that will go as long as 5 or 6 hours, just depends on the recipe and your environment. The dough should look smooth textured and will have expanded 1 1/2 to 2 times their original size and have a clean sour smell.”

“Final stage proofing IDEALLY should take place in the range of 85 to 105F although room temperature works just as well just takes longer. Average time for final proofing is 45 minutes but can vary considerably depending on composition of the dough and the bulk fermentation time. Doughs properly proofed will show first sign of broken bubbles on the surface and/or cracks in the dough.”

“Late stages of the final proof need to be watched closely as the dough can very quickly over-proof resulting in a dense, gummy loaf, especially with high percentage loaves (>50% rye)”

“Rye bread’s typical crust structure has a difficult time holding a vertical shape. Not unusual for a panned loaf to rise above the lip of the pan during final proof and then recede to the top of the lip during the bake. Depending on the grains used one with more rye in it will tend to flatten out a bit when freeform baked on a stone. Sides of the dough need support to rise up.”

“For a taller loaf using a pan use a pullman pan which is taller and not as wide.”

Except for the Pullman pan as I don’t have one yet, I have been using the above for a couple of months with no failures, so evidently some of it must be on target. I have yet to delve into using the retarder for cold proofing rye before baking. I know it is done.

1 Like

That is a fantastic and fascinating summary! Thank you for doing this.

I was going to say that my rugbrod ferments nicely at cool temps, but then remembered it has yogurt or Kefir milk…so the LAB boost. I’ll be keeping an eye on dough temps this winter when I make my customary rye breads (75% rye for holiday mornings with smoked fish).

I would like to express my delight in finding this wonderful and easy recipe for making Artisan Rye Bread. I am a fan on No-Knead bread baking, but found the master recipe that I use doesn’t really cut it if the dough is left beyond a day or two in the refrigerator. So, I followed Eric’s recipe pretty much to the letter with the following exceptions:
I used 70g of plain bread flour master recipe that was two days old in place of the starter.
I also used 1 tsp of off the shelf, readily available in the supermarket active yeast.
After the mixing phase, the dough went into the refrigerator for 10 hours.
After 10 hours, the dough was left covered on the bench for 10 hours (about 64°F).
Continued with written recipe doing a final proofing of about 50 minutes as the dough was rising nicely and I didn’t want to loose oven spring. Went into a heated at 475°F enamel cast iron pot for 30 minutes (note:didn’t stick to pot) then lowered temp to 410° for 10 minutes. Internal temp was 200°after this time.
The result was a beautifully shaped and well risen loaf. I am really chuffed so will not be shy in trying more of your recipes. Thanks heaps.

1 Like